Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Building codes guy
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone. Ron the Plumber gave me a tip about this new site. I'm a city building inspector (don't shoot), and like to frequent sites like this to learn from industry professionals and share my knowledge as well. I figure that the more I know and the more you know, the better we all get along! Happy to help in any way I can.
Aaron

·
Banned
8,808 Posts
Glad you made it here. :thumbsup:

Ron

·
Master Plumber
1,069 Posts
Hey everyone. Ron the Plumber gave me a tip about this new site. I'm a city building inspector (don't shoot), and like to frequent sites like this to learn from industry professionals and share my knowledge as well. I figure that the more I know and the more you know, the better we all get along! Happy to help in any way I can.
Aaron
I figure we are on the same team. I try to make sure my work meets (or when appropriate, exceeds) the code and you as an inspector are my partner in making sure that happens.

Never had a significant problem with an inspector until recently. A meeting the same day with the head inspector and the building department manager got that resolved right quick. He ended up with a serious reprimand letter in his file. He is very subdued when he inspects my jobs from now on. But other than that, you think something doesn't meet code? Show me the code because if you are right I need to know it so I can do my work right. Hopefully you are man enough to back down if I am right. Fair enough? Never had that approach fail me. Of course, it won't work if done with an attitude.

So hey, no shots at you from me. We are supposedly on the same side so why would I "shoot" my partner?

·
Building codes guy
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well put 22! Thanks for the warm welcome!

I can't stand dealing with inspectors that won't justify their calls with a code section. I won't always read a contractor the code, but will always substantiate my calls with code or manufacturer requirements. I'd rather deal with a tradesman that attempts to know the code and work with me rather than against me. I'll always bend over backwards to help people understand why they're being written for something. I'll also usually give my best suggestions for fixing the problem.

Although I seldom take this approach, the tradesman has the burden of proof here, not the inspector.

However, when I get an argumentative tradesman that doesn't want to work with me and just wants to get away with something, I ask two questions....
1) what code are we enforcing here?
2) what color is that code book?

MANY builders and tradesmen have no idea of the answer to either question. That's when I stop giving explanations and start giving code section numbers. That forces them to at least get a book and open it.

·
Master Plumber
1,069 Posts
Well put 22! Thanks for the warm welcome!

I can't stand dealing with inspectors that won't justify their calls with a code section. I won't always read a contractor the code, but will always substantiate my calls with code or manufacturer requirements. I'd rather deal with a tradesman that attempts to know the code and work with me rather than against me. I'll always bend over backwards to help people understand why they're being written for something. I'll also usually give my best suggestions for fixing the problem.

Although I seldom take this approach, the tradesman has the burden of proof here, not the inspector.

However, when I get an argumentative tradesman that doesn't want to work with me and just wants to get away with something, I ask two questions....
1) what code are we enforcing here?
2) what color is that code book?

MANY builders and tradesmen have no idea of the answer to either question. That's when I stop giving explanations and start giving code section numbers. That forces them to at least get a book and open it.
We all hear the *****ing about the inspectors. But I wonder if I could handle being one and dealing with the hacks out there. And some of the hacks even have a plumbing license. Ugh! At some point don't you just want to go off on them?

·
Building codes guy
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
We all hear the *****ing about the inspectors. But I wonder if I could handle being one and dealing with the hacks out there. And some of the hacks even have a plumbing license. Ugh! At some point don't you just want to go off on them?
Nah, I don't usually feel like going off. Honestly, the plumbers are usually the least of my problems. I find that they're normally one of the more professional trades...Normally. Being an inspector isn't bad at all. I get to leave my stress at the office and go home at a reasonable hour, unlike being a construction company owner or super. Small paycheck, but otherwise a hard job to beat. You realize really quickly that you can't be on everyone's Christmas card list, but earning the respect of good professional tradespeople is satisfying enough to offset the few that just don't want to play nice.

The way I see it, the hacks will always be there, although I do my best to keep them from wanting to work in my city due to the scrutiny that their poor work attracts. That's unfortunate, but it makes my job worth doing.

·
Retired Moderator
6,781 Posts
Welcome. I appreciate input from inspectors as i am a licensed plumber, not a walking code book. If you feel the need to correct me, by all means, do so as this is how we all learn.

·
Building codes guy
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Welcome. I appreciate input from inspectors as i am a licensed plumber, not a walking code book. If you feel the need to correct me, by all means, do so as this is how we all learn.
I've seen you around the DIY forum, USP45. Nice name by the way...I used to have a USP .40....Nice, but too big for concealed carry.

Although my boss says I'm a walking code book, it isn't true! I learn new things all the time, and it usually isn't from inspectors...It is from the pros in the trades. I'll certainly help where I can, and I hope to learn from you as well.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts