Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Banned
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello experts,

I am looking for a little guidance with a drainpipe in my backyard. I am attaching a picture that would clear things up.
I used to have a door leading to my furnace room.
In front of it is a drain pipe (hope that's the correct term lol) that leads to my home's main drain pipe.
We have condemned the door (as you can see) and ew will be filling up the hole to the yard level.
I would like to keep this drain pipe (to attach an outdoor sink to it and also help with draining our pool) however I'm not sure how this should be done.

I was thinking extending the pipe upwards to the level, creating a casing around it and filling up the casing with concrete.
I'm not sure if a straight pipe going down and connecting the drain pipe will backflow or something.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Building Stairs Brickwork Composite material Road surface

·
4th year apprentice
1,079 Posts
Just fill the entire pit with crushed stone and stick the drain pipe from the sink down into it. The water will find it's way down into the existing floor drain. Otherwise you have to make an air gap if attaching the new pipe to it. Too much trouble.

·
Banned
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just fill the entire pit with crushed stone and stick the drain pipe from the sink down into it. The water will find it's way down into the existing floor drain. Otherwise you have to make an air gap if attaching the new pipe to it. Too much trouble.
Not sure I understand. Maybe I didn’t explain myself properly.
im filling up the whole area where the stairs are (almost 6 feet up). Going to tar and membrane the concrete wall and fill it up with gravel and soil to the top of the stairs.
But before, going to extend the existing drainpipe almost 6’ going up, build a casing around the new pipe and pour concrete.
So I’m looking for advice on if it’s doable or should I look at a different plan?

·
Reverend, R.S.E., Master Plumber
Nice Head, what’s in the bag?
2,298 Posts
Ok, so get a 12’ length of 1.5” ABS pipe from your fav big box Reno store, remove the rusty plate, shove the pipe into the drain, pack quick set concrete around it to seal the the 1.5” pipe into the 3”-4” existing drain. This will keep out dirt and stone.
Find a way to support the pipe as you back fill. Once you’re done filling in the stair well, cut the pipe to the length you need.
If you can’t follow this simple instruction hire a professional plumber.

·
Banned
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ok, so get a 12’ length of 1.5” ABS pipe from your fav big box Reno store, remove the rusty plate, shove the pipe into the drain, pack quick set concrete around it to seal the the 1.5” pipe into the 3”-4” existing drain. This will keep out dirt and stone.
Find a way to support the pipe as you back fill.
If you can’t follow this simple instruction hire a professional plumber.
Thanks for the advice. We tried bringing in plumbers but they only want to do half the work (build up the pipe but not the concrete casing and backfilling 😠

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
yes, it’s not the “master bedroom” anymore it’s the “primary bedroom”.
Fak off..
those who b1tch about that, probably wouldn’t b1tch if they could afford it.
It was some “woke” college trying to change the name of master bedrooms. They also wanted to change the name of a manhole and a few others I can’t think of right now.

·
Registered
8,194 Posts
I think you're an idiot for blocking off outside access to your basement. Never going to bring a heavy appliance in or out again? Boiler? Fuel tank?

1 - 20 of 39 Posts