Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Portland Oregon Plumber
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Many of us spend huge funds on paid advertisements, some with credible returns and some a total waste of money.

Not every business owner wants to share the secret of how or what works for them in marketing their plumbing business.

We will be sharing our tips on how you can make your phone to ring more with customers who need your services. These tips work for us and i thought i should share.

• Create a Website with targeted keywords
  • Make sure major search engines got your website - Google, Yahoo, Bing (submit to them yourself)
  • Use free classified ad websites - Craigslist
  • Use social media - Facebook, Twitter

This topic is open to suggestions - Let's hear from you

·
philosopher and statesmen
7,890 Posts
thank you

I got the web site, and I got the key words.....

I go tthe domains for around my town, and I am always #1 or 2 on the google map searches for my town...

recently I am hearing more about face book and twitter,
and the networking you can get going .....

I am too stupid to understand how this is supposed to be good for me...or how to set it all up to my advantage.

could you please explain this to me
if you have the time

perhaps plumbingzone could do a facebook network thing
so people all across the country could plug in and see who
is available in their area????

thank you

mark

·
Professional Bullshioter
6,092 Posts
Plumbingzone has a facebook group.

·
Portland Oregon Plumber
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You are welcome Master Mark. Ok to set up your twitter and facebook as lead generating tools, there is a number of things you need to bear in mind.
1. Use your niche when setting up your account - both in your user name and on profile description under settings.
2. Look for users around your area and interact with them
3. Tell your existing customers you re on twitter and facebook and have them follow you.
4. Be friendly, share love, avoid frequent advertisement, never spam your followers

You may want to read this article on how to use twitter for business
I hope this helps. And feel free to ask more questions if you get stuck at any point.

All the best!

·
residential service
1,948 Posts
You are welcome Master Mark. Ok to set up your twitter and facebook as lead generating tools, there is a number of things you need to bear in mind.
1. Use your niche when setting up your account - both in your user name and on profile description under settings.
2. Look for users around your area and interact with them
3. Tell your existing customers you re on twitter and facebook and have them follow you.
4. Be friendly, share love, avoid frequent advertisement, never spam your followers

You may want to read this article on how to use twitter for business
I hope this helps. And feel free to ask more questions if you get stuck at any point.

All the best!
Just to clarify from your website, if I call you at 11:00 p.m. on Saturday night with stopped up main line, you will come out that night and assuming it takes an hour or less to clear, my total cost will be $49.00?

P. S., Sorry for the thread drift.

·
Portland Oregon Plumber
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just to clarify from your website, if I call you at 11:00 p.m. on Saturday night with stopped up main line, you will come out that night and assuming it takes an hour or less to clear, my total cost will be $49.00?

P. S., Sorry for the thread drift.
You are a plumber smellslike$tome, i am both a marketer and plumber. This is how best i can answer your question. You go figure it out. LOL!

·
Banned
8,808 Posts
Lets play nice.

·
Former Moderator
9,817 Posts
It means that he uses his marketing expertise to get in the door and capture the customer. Then the plumbing kicks in. :thumbup:

For the small business owner, plumbing is just one part. You have to get the customers before you can plumb. (Rock, we are really going to tick off the new guy with using 'plumb' incorrectly ;)).

·
Banned
6,437 Posts
$49 for drain cleaning! hold smokes! you should advertise on craigslist I think. Thats where the rest of your buddies are.
I think quite a few on here advertise on craigslist...How does it work for you?

·
Registered
6,326 Posts
I used to work with a guy that thought others were hacks when they used creative means of marketing. I find it amusing when Plumber/Business owners get worked up, that someone uses creative methods of marketing.

For Example: A Heating and Plumbing company was trying to expand into our area, they were advertising 49.00 clean and checks for a basic hvac system and something like 29.00 service call for plumbing. This was done at the local Fair in the Industrial tent. Owner I worked with, made fun of them and put them down for their hacks and cheap methods. He did not understand that those prices were not great, but it got their foot into new customers doors.

By the way, they never revealed their labor rates in that advertising.

·
I aint CPV see in it?
4,896 Posts
Since being in business, I have learned ALOT, I mean ALOT, about SEO work, and online marketing, at minimul cost. Thanks to a certain X-member, and all of the knowledge that he bestowed upon us FOR FREE.;) At any rate, I just built a fan page a few weeks ago on Facebook for my company, but don't really get the whole Twitter thing. How the hell is having a bunch of followers on Twitter going to market my company? Do my customers really give a rats ass, what the company that just fixed their disposal, toilet, ECT, is doing at any moment in time? I for one, dont think so.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Since being in business, I have learned ALOT, I mean ALOT, about SEO work, and online marketing, at minimul cost. Thanks to a certain X-member, and all of the knowledge that he bestowed upon us FOR FREE.;) At any rate, I just built a fan page a few weeks ago on Facebook for my company, but don't really get the whole Twitter thing. How the hell is having a bunch of followers on Twitter going to market my company? Do my customers really give a rats ass, what the company that just fixed their disposal, toilet, ECT, is doing at any moment in time? I for one, dont think so.
Give yourself a little more credit Rock. Maybe you have some real wierd

creepy, stalker types for clients :laughing:

·
Registered
6 Posts
your first priority is always to get your foot in the door, or book the call. however, it is always important to make sure the customer is aware that pricing is dependent on what needs to be done. if you are a small company with little or no overhead, you can easily charge lower prices than larger companies with more overhead (advertising, insurance, fleet maintenance, equipment, etc).

a "one man show" can get away with charging 49.00 for a mainline stoppage (assuming there isn't much travel time involved, and that perhaps there is an exposed cleanout). however, if you're talking about pulling a water closet, cabling via the flange and resetting, or climbing on to a roof to cable through a vent stack i would assume you have additional charges.

i carry video inspection equipment with me at all times. if i am running a mainline, i ALWAYS inspect the line after opening, always hopeful for a sewer repair or replacement. of course, i provide more service than just a quickie "line-opening" and so my "foot in the door" price is MUCH higher... :thumbup:

·
Banned
6,437 Posts
Its an insult to the industry. I hate those guys.:censored:
Its called capitalism. Why do you hate the guys that are part of capitalism unless you dont believe in it yourself?

I dont hate the highest price company nor do I hate the lowest. It all works together and gives the choice to the customer. I like having a choice in quality and prices of an item or service.

·
Registered
675 Posts
You are a plumber smellslike$tome, i am both a marketer and plumber. This is how best i can answer your question. You go figure it out. LOL!
Don't take this the wrong way... I mean no disrespect. But just callin it like I see it... why would anybody of sound mind take advice from a self proclaimed marketing guru who has committed some of the most atrocious marketing no-nos possible on what should be the number one driving force, the website. I'm sure you have put a lot of effort into it and it does reflect effort, but as we all know effort does not always equate to results. What happened to the universal principals of feature, function, benefit? Out of respect I wont rip your content so you figure that one out. But as a self proclaimed marketeer, I would have to see what results you currently yield before I took you seriously. I do not claim to be an expert, but have seen some of the best at work with proven results. What you have shown thus far does not come close.

Case in point for all those who read this: don't take advice from someone who has not proven their results to be less than number one.

·
Registered
500 Posts
your first priority is always to get your foot in the door, or book the call. however, it is always important to make sure the customer is aware that pricing is dependent on what needs to be done. if you are a small company with little or no overhead, you can easily charge lower prices than larger companies with more overhead (advertising, insurance, fleet maintenance, equipment, etc).

a "one man show" can get away with charging 49.00 for a mainline stoppage (assuming there isn't much travel time involved, and that perhaps there is an exposed cleanout). however, if you're talking about pulling a water closet, cabling via the flange and resetting, or climbing on to a roof to cable through a vent stack i would assume you have additional charges.

i carry video inspection equipment with me at all times. if i am running a mainline, i ALWAYS inspect the line after opening, always hopeful for a sewer repair or replacement. of course, i provide more service than just a quickie "line-opening" and so my "foot in the door" price is MUCH higher... :thumbup:
Regaurdless of company size, advertising budget... I believe that every task has an associated value and if you're clearing a main line for $49.00 then you've devalued the service for yourself and others'.

Most of us have worked along time to have the know how and expertese to perform these tasks and to cheapen it in the eyes of the HO and give it away is stupid- how many HO are going to try and clear a main sewer blockage on their own? let me awnser that for you about 1%. So, why give it away?

1 - 20 of 74 Posts