Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner
21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
I Like Tater Tots
Plumber since 1979. 42 years and still rollin'
1,229 Posts
I purchased a flat rate book off of Amazon called https://www.amazon.com/Plumbing-Upfront-Pricing-ExactCharge-Industries/dp/1641362901
The reason I call the flat rate book basically worthless is because first off it had barely any plumbing jobs in it. The main thing I'm interested in is how long jobs take on average and there was no information on how long they take. If I just knew that one thing I could easily plug my own per hour rate. The book also did not say anything on how much the materials were. For example the book was set up like so: there was a section called "Faucet installed" under it a category called single handle bath faucet (good quality all metal) -"your upfront price" .294.83
Kitchen faucet single handle (good quality all metal) - $$$
with sprayer- $$$
So I guess it's better than nothing, but not really since "good quality" kitchen faucets is very subjective. I don't know what they paid for materials.
Matt the information is right in front of you. Early in this post I suggested that you post an example page of your book because I suspected there was more information than you’re seeing.

I purchased this same book and there’s plenty of plumbing tasks and the hours associated with them in black and white.

I took a VERY LONG weekend and built a spreadsheet with my own labor rate, my own material estimates and the suggested hours in this book created my own price book. I threw a lot of their tasks away, tweaked some others and made up some of my own.

The formulas in excel add all the factors for me and give me a selling price. I just plug in labor hours, estimated materials and any misc charges like equipment use charge or rental etc.

The formulas automatically figure in my service call fee, material markup and add on task discount. You can literally write the book to figure how you want to work.

The labor hours per task is what makes that book worth something. Other than that pitch that book and write your own.

About 3 days and a fifth of Bourbon and I’m almost done. 🥃

·
Registered
Master Plumber
57 Posts
Matt the information is right in front of you. Early in this post I suggested that you post an example page of your book because I suspected there was more information than you’re seeing.

I purchased this same book and there’s plenty of plumbing tasks and the hours associated with them in black and white.

I took a VERY LONG weekend and built a spreadsheet with my own labor rate, my own material estimates and the suggested hours in this book created my own price book. I threw a lot of their tasks away, tweaked some others and made up some of my own.

The formulas in excel add all the factors for me and give me a selling price. I just plug in labor hours, estimated materials and any misc charges like equipment use charge or rental etc.

The formulas automatically figure in my service call fee, material markup and add on task discount. You can literally write the book to figure how you want to work.

The labor hours per task is what makes that book worth something. Other than that pitch that book and write your own.

About 3 days and a fifth of Bourbon and I’m almost done. 🥃
I like Bourbon….

21 - 23 of 23 Posts