Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looked at a drippy kitchen faucet and replaced a couple of flappers today.

Never seen or heard of a Brizo before! It’s the cold side, but I always replace both. Anyhow, how do you remove the handle on this POS?!! I know the tricks with 8” spreads and tub deck mounts.... but this one has me scratching my head!

I can see how to remove the spout, but not the handles. No set screw, no caps with hidden screws...

Attachments

·
Registered
6,841 Posts
They just pull off, no screw or anything. Brizo is just another brand name owned by the same company as delta and hansgrohe. The cartridge is a semi generic 1/2" ceramic cartridge almost exactly the same as many grohe cartridges.

The cartridge part number is rp36265.

·
Registered
3,342 Posts
They just pull off, no screw or anything. Brizo is just another brand name owned by the same company as delta and hansgrohe. The cartridge is a semi generic 1/2" ceramic cartridge almost exactly the same as many grohe cartridges.

The cartridge part number is rp36265.

I agree, they should just pull off. I’ve only installed Brizo Lav faucets and it’s been a few years. If I remember correctly it’s a strong magnet that you screw into the top of the cartridge and set the handle on the magnet.

Don’t make the mistake I did, I put the magnet on the cartridge and didn’t put the screw in it. I set the handle on for a dry fit to see how it looked. Damn magnet stuck hard in the handle and it’s a pain in the ass to get out.

·
Super Moderator
9,760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I didn’t even think about yanking on the handles! It’ll be 2-3 weeks before we can get back there.

·
The Old (antique) Master
2,246 Posts
I agree, they should just pull off. I’ve only installed Brizo Lav faucets and it’s been a few years. If I remember correctly it’s a strong magnet that you screw into the top of the cartridge and set the handle on the magnet.

Never worked on any, not around in my time. Reading the post I must wonder "what is the product made from?" Brass, bronze, good stainless steel -- non of which are magnetic. That leaves cheap stainless or regular steel. I'd say junk!. As a product for plumbing.

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
Never worked on any, not around in my time. Reading the post I must wonder "what is the product made from?" Brass, bronze, good stainless steel -- non of which are magnetic. That leaves cheap stainless or regular steel. I'd say junk!. As a product for plumbing.

Normal materials from what I can tell. There is an insert inside the handle that gives it the magnetic properties.

·
Registered
6,841 Posts
good stainless steel -- non of which are magnetic....

That's not true. The short answer is that some stainless steel is magnetic and it isn't just because it's cheaper. Personally I disagree with the idea of "cheap stainless". They are all pretty expensive. You either pick the correct stainless alloy for the job or you don't and some happen to be more expensive. Obviously some companies will choose cheaper grades but in that case you should just be checking the alloy before you buy that product. Even non-magnetic stainless steel can become magnetic after cold forming.

The long answer: https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/why-dont-magnets-work-on/

Reactions: Tango

·
The Old (antique) Master
2,246 Posts
That's not true. The short answer is that some stainless steel is magnetic and it isn't just because it's cheaper. Personally I disagree with the idea of "cheap stainless". They are all pretty expensive. You either pick the correct stainless alloy for the job or you don't and some happen to be more expensive. Obviously some companies will choose cheaper grades but in that case you should just be checking the alloy before you buy that product. Even non-magnetic stainless steel can become magnetic after cold forming.

The long answer: https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/why-dont-magnets-work-on/

I looked at the link you supplied. OK from an engineering standpoint I would have to agree - - but here it is in real life. I have a pool in my yard. In the winter is must be winterized. In the filter pump are two chambers they must be drained. The pool was installed in 1980, and the two 1/4" brass plugs as supplied over the years got a little rounded off they had to be replaced. So I went into Fergeson and I wanted 2 brass plugs, was told by the counterman I would have to take S.S. as brass has increased so much that they are no longer stocking same. So I took S.S. Now I have a flashlight with a strong magnet in its base. In working at the filter. I laid the 2 plugs near the flashlight, both were pulled against the magnet. I went back to Fergussion and said your bins are marked S.S. but the product is galvanized steel. They checked and said no they were S.S. So we went around the bins -- nipples would not attach Elkay sinks {no attraction} some fittings would attach some would not. The problem to me is that the fitt's rust. Should S.S. even though your article talks about magnetism. RUST

·
Registered
10,466 Posts

I looked at the link you supplied. OK from an engineering standpoint I would have to agree - - but here it is in real life. I have a pool in my yard. In the winter is must be winterized. In the filter pump are two chambers they must be drained. The pool was installed in 1980, and the two 1/4" brass plugs as supplied over the years got a little rounded off they had to be replaced. So I went into Fergeson and I wanted 2 brass plugs, was told by the counterman I would have to take S.S. as brass has increased so much that they are no longer stocking same. So I took S.S. Now I have a flashlight with a strong magnet in its base. In working at the filter. I laid the 2 plugs near the flashlight, both were pulled against the magnet. I went back to Fergussion and said your bins are marked S.S. but the product is galvanized steel. They checked and said no they were S.S. So we went around the bins -- nipples would not attach Elkay sinks {no attraction} some fittings would attach some would not. The problem to me is that the fitt's rust. Should S.S. even though your article talks about magnetism. RUST
sounds like fergusons has some issues...

1/4 brass plug for $1.78....
https://www.supplyhouse.com/Everflow-BRPL0014-NL-1-4-Brass-Plug-Cored-Lead-Free

a pack of 15 for about $11 in change Amazon..prime get it in 2 days, you probably spent more in time and gas than if you ordered online..
https://www.amazon.com/Midwest-Control-23152X4-P15-Brass-Head/dp/B01MT3T4DE/ref=sr_1_4?crid=29QI3Y0MKT2L9&keywords=1%2F4+brass+plug&qid=1561835149&s=gateway&sprefix=1%2F4+brass%2Caps%2C213&sr=8-4

·
Registered
1 Posts

Don’t make the mistake I did, I put the magnet on the cartridge and didn’t put the screw in it. I set the handle on for a dry fit to see how it looked. Damn magnet stuck hard in the handle and it’s a pain in the ass to get out.
I made the mistake, magnet stuck. any suggestions on getting it out. pain in the ass is right!

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
I made the mistake, magnet stuck. any suggestions on getting it out. pain in the ass is right!
Use a sledgehammer and hit the top of the handle to dislodge the magnet. You can also use a torch or put the handle in the oven at the highest setting your oven goes to for about an hour or two, heat makes magnets lose their magnetic properties.

·
Reverend, R.S.E., Master Plumber
Nice Head, what’s in the bag?
1,669 Posts
Looked at a drippy kitchen faucet and replaced a couple of flappers today.

Never seen or heard of a Brizo before! It’s the cold side, but I always replace both. Anyhow, how do you remove the handle on this POS?!! I know the tricks with 8” spreads and tub deck mounts.... but this one has me scratching my head!

I can see how to remove the spout, but not the handles. No set screw, no caps with hidden screws...
post this flapper in “Fcuky Flapper” thread

1 - 17 of 17 Posts