Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
1,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any of you guys do heavy service on water heaters?

I don't mean just rip out and replacements, but like troubleshooting ..

Just wondering who is into that type of service, I used to work for a company and that's all we did was boilers and water heater service :)

You get good at it and it goes 1 2 3 .

Anyone else?

·
Banned
8,808 Posts
We do lots of water heaters, service or replaced.

·
Banned
1,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the feedback guys,

I have more questions as well.

1) What Brands do you work on most

2) What is the most common repair ( elements, tubes, tanks, burners etc )

I used to do a ton of elements as well as burner troubleshooting ( bleeding oil lines all that good stuff )

·
Banned
8,808 Posts
We have Bradford White mostly here, most of the time it's failed stats, then there is bottom elements is the 2nd most replaced part on them.

·
Banned
1,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
We have Bradford White mostly here, most of the time it's failed stats, then there is bottom elements is the 2nd most replaced part on them.

Oh yea, I can relate to good ole Bradford.

Moving on to oil fired, we did a TON of Beckett work, all day long man, Beckett seems like they invented there business just to create work for the service man.

Did or do you repair oil fired units as well or just gas / electric?

·
Master Plumber
1,069 Posts
Does anyone replace bottom elements without draining the water heaters? I "know a guy" that has done that. He lived in an area with almost zero sediment so he could get by with it.

·
Banned
8,808 Posts
Oh yea, I can relate to good ole Bradford.

Moving on to oil fired, we did a TON of Beckett work, all day long man, Beckett seems like they invented there business just to create work for the service man.

Did or do you repair oil fired units as well or just gas / electric?
We don't have oil fired units here, if there is any there far in between.

·
Banned
8,808 Posts
Does anyone replace bottom elements without draining the water heaters? I "know a guy" that has done that. He lived in an area with almost zero sediment so he could get by with it.
Yep simple procedure, shut tank off release pressure, close it back off, it airlocks the heater, quickly pull old element and quickly install the new one, most you will lose is a cup or two.

·
Banned
1,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yup done that :)

We don't have oil fired units here, if there is any there far in between.
ahh, yea many states do not fr some reason.....

Yep simple procedure, shut tank off release pressure, close it back off, it airlocks the heater, quickly pull old element and quickly install the new one, most you will lose is a cup or two.

Yup saved me some typing :)
Two "glugs" and it's over.
The glugs remind me of the sound of money

I troubleshoot every one that I work on.

But as far as repairing it will be getting new stats and elements.
It's not worth playing around with in terms of guarantee and callbacks.
Yea, I agree as well

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
i trouble shoot anything that's less than 10 years old. around here they don't tend to last that long anyways due to leakage. mostly A. O. Smith and Bradford. elements, thermostats and pilot assemblies/intake filter cleaning (on the A. O. Smith heaters).

changing lower elements without draining the heater is risky around here due to the sediment build up, i won't try it unless the heater's in the garage or outside closet. gas valves, on the other hand, are no problem.

paul

1 - 14 of 14 Posts