Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious as to how many Plumbing outfits that each of you compete with? I know a big variable would be population density, but I'm getting ready to hang my shingle and didn't know if should expand my marketing to other communities.
Also whether or not anyone's done any research as to what is the saturation point for plumbers per capita?

Thanks for the help.

Plumbdog

·
Plumbing and Gas SCO
1,437 Posts
There is no real saturation point. Except in Westlock Alberta:whistling2:.
If you provide above average service. Stand behind your work, no matter what. You will get the customers. You will have to grow by word of mouth which takes longer, but it will happen. Never, ever, bad mouth the competition, it looks bad. If the customers *****es about the competition just nod and say "I've heard that alot" and keep working. I had 4 calls yesterday from customers who had had "the other plumbing company" do work for them in the past. Good, honest, work pays in the end.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks uaplumber- My business will be built on word of mouth and exceptional service.
My old boss and soon to be one of my main competitor's had a bad habit of "bad mouthing" work done by others. I always thought it made him look petty in the eyes of the ho or contractor. So, I'll let him take that road:no:.
And I'll choose the high road:thumbsup:.

·
Water Whisperer
3,627 Posts
Just curious as to how many Plumbing outfits that each of you compete with? I know a big variable would be population density, but I'm getting ready to hang my shingle and didn't know if should expand my marketing to other communities.
Also whether or not anyone's done any research as to what is the saturation point for plumbers per capita?

Thanks for the help.

Plumbdog
How far away from a big city are you? If you're close, start in the city and commute. If far, are you willing to move?

If you hate the city and want to stay rural, then you'll stay a 2-3 man shop making enough to get by.

Competition is business. Few companies don't have competition, so you gotta get used to it. Pick the area you want to work in and go for it. You have to match advertising dollars with the successful companies---not the fools---and stay in lock step with the winners.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts