·
Master Plumber/Mechanical
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering how many others here also do mechanical or just plumbing/gas

·
Registered
6,312 Posts
We do residential, commercial plumbing, HVAC and mechanical, including ductwork and drain cleaning.

The AFB corporation (anything for a buck):thumbsup:

·
Registered
415 Posts
I do but.....

but don't know much about what I am doing. Do just change-outs and will install a complete FAU system in a small house.

What is the average temperature and air speed that should come out of an 8 inch air register?

·
Always Something
1,369 Posts
I hate HVAC. I got my guys number on speed dial (#8) and that's all I want to know about it. I always seem to cut my hands on EQ straps...I hate sheet metal.

·
Water Whisperer
3,627 Posts
Nope, me neither. You can't throw a dog turd without hitting a mechanical contractor.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I stay on the hydronics, steam and burner service side. I also take of replacements and new installs. No A/C though.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Most don't know how much you are losing by.....

not doing heating. If you think a customer will pay a lot to keep their toilet working, how much do you think a customer will pay to save from destroying their home or from turning into a popsicle.

Heating is very simple to learn and there are some big bucks. Even in California, this year we sold about 30 forced air furnace change-outs and about 30 floor and wall furnaces at an average of $4,500 a pop. Ooooop! Now Mr. Utah is going to know how I paid for my helicopter. ;)

A forced air furnace costs less than $500, another $150 for parts, and takes about 2 to 3 hours to install. It is not much more difficult than changing a water heater. Just more money!

One thing we invested in that makes a lot of money is a carbon monoxide tester $300 and a gas leak detector $200. You can buy both at Johnstone. The gas tester is so accurate, I could not find a leak in a furnace gas cock with bubbles and my leak detector found gas leaking underneath the lever handle. When a customer sees the soap bubbles they are not impressed, but when they hear the leak detector squealing like an ambulance siren, they realize they have a gas leak. Many times, before we had a leak detector, we told customers we smelled gas leaking and they did not respond because they could not smell the gas. Now, we whip out the leak detector and the siren goes off to prove there is a leak. There is a great psychological difference and I have helicopter payments to make.:no: Mr. Utah should know where this helicopter is parked as he drives by the Outlet Center in Lynwood (or Lennwood, Barstow) in the rear parking lot.

Hope you don't mind me posting these pictures. Is this against rules, wasting bandwidth, or something. It adds more color to the posts, and you get to see me.

Attachments

·
Professional Bullshioter
6,092 Posts
PC,
That was a stretch but you did it. You changed another thread to PC's toot your own horn thread. Let the helicopter discussion begin. Congrats:thumbsup:

·
Registered
415 Posts
I like to be serious and goofy at the same time.

I think I am overly-serious about business throughout every day, but I also screw around and joke around throughout the entire day. I suppose I could lie and say the helicopter is mine. It costs one costs less than $150,000 which is not much more that some families pay for a few cars. I don't like helicopters because they fall apart and flip upside down too easily.

That would be pretty cool if I had my own helicopter and buzz over my group riding ATV's in the desert. Besides, I did not steal any attention from this thread. It was bothering me as I was wondering where it was going to go. Okay! So we answered the question about whether or not we do HVAC, but what was the reason?

·
Registered
30 Posts
I do it all as well. Being well rounded will make you a good leader. If you run crews of 8 guys or so, you need to have a solid grasp on all aspects in order to delegate the tasks at hand.

j.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts