Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If I knew how,I would set up a poll on this forum with the various code councils to see where the forum sits as far as which members are in which code areas.In Oklahoma we work under the International code council.And I know most of us have our own state and local addendums ,which are many,but I was just curious about the big ones.

·
Banned
8,808 Posts
Each state that uses UPC will have there amendments to them, so UPC is all the same then add in the state code.

·
Banned
3,806 Posts
Illinois has a code that is loosely based on UPC, but much of it was rewritten specifically for the state by Dean Thaedy years ago, when code was still in it's infancy. In the northern half of the state almost all communities use a variation of Chicago code, as the city has it's own. What is really a pain is the towns that border the city, one will use Chicago code as of 1999 with their own provisions, while others will use Chicago code as of 2001 with their own provisions. The difference between the two? One allows PVC DWV and one doesn't. You can do a job on one side of the street in PVC, and go across the street and the same job would have to be CI and Copper.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
If I knew how,I would set up a poll on this forum.
When your starting a new thread there are some options listed below the text box. One of the options is Post a Poll. Check the box that says "YES" and enter in how many options you want. Then, after you hit post button it will bring you to a new page where you can post your question and options.

Thanks.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Illinois has a code that is loosely based on UPC, but much of it was rewritten specifically for the state by Dean Thaedy years ago, when code was still in it's infancy. In the northern half of the state almost all communities use a variation of Chicago code, as the city has it's own. What is really a pain is the towns that border the city, one will use Chicago code as of 1999 with their own provisions, while others will use Chicago code as of 2001 with their own provisions. The difference between the two? One allows PVC DWV and one doesn't. You can do a job on one side of the street in PVC, and go across the street and the same job would have to be CI and Copper.

I face that challenge with the business as I work 6 or so cities,each with a min. population of 50,000 and the largest being Ok City at 1/2 mil,and they in turn are in 4 different counties.But what I really was wondering was who was observing which codes,though I have a fairly good idea except for east coast.

And Nathan ,thanks for the info. on polls,I'll make a mental note.

·
Banned
1,589 Posts
I'm in Mass...we just gotta be different.
We don't subscribe to any major code format, despite countless similarities to UPC, IPC & Boca.

Vent sizing & distance from weir for example, we simply take the weir diameter multiply by 2 and add 2 in feet...most other states have a sizing chart.

·
Ridgid tool user
4,909 Posts
Here in Va Beach, we use the ICC as well. All the codes seem very similar with a few exceptions.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Excellent,at least we have a few here in the International jurisdiction so that we can discuss the pros and cons together.:thumbup:

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It is a good sight.During the next round of code changes in 09' ,I'm going to go ahead and join up since the price of the books comes off the top of the membership dues.It should bring down the cost of membership to 100.00 or so.

·
Plumbing Contractor
971 Posts
We still use the UPC code book. But I think I might check on that on Monday to be sure!:rolleyes:

·
Chase Plumber
289 Posts
Kentucky has their own code pretty much.

Although, it could be similar in some ways to your alls. . I haven't really checked it out.

We have maximum developed lengths for vents and drains. . you guys got those??

·
Banned
8,808 Posts

Although, it could be similar in some ways to your alls. . I haven't really checked it out.

Your mean trap arms?

·
Banned
1,589 Posts

Every plumbing code has those.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Code?

I know this will be a dumb question but.... Why in the hell don't we just adopt one code for the U.S.? I understand completely freeze protection, earthquake, aggressive soils to piping etc. that would have to be inserted.

But why can't everyone get it together and have one?

J.C.

·
Master Plumber
1,069 Posts
I know this will be a dumb question but.... Why in the hell don't we just adopt one code for the U.S.? I understand completely freeze protection, earthquake, aggressive soils to piping etc. that would have to be inserted.

But why can't everyone get it together and have one?

J.C.
One word.

EGO.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts