Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just cleaning out my files in my van, and realized that I must have a couple hundred old permits in my binder going back to '09. How long do you all hold on to older permits? We do mostly new construction, and remodel work, and used to have to have a actual paper permit. Most of the communities I work in now have online access to all permits. I'm not terribly worried about saving any permits older than a couple of years, as I have rarely needed to refer to one in the past. I was just curious how some of you handled this.

·
Super Moderator
2,489 Posts
I was just cleaning out my files in my van, and realized that I must have a couple hundred old permits in my binder going back to '09. How long do you all hold on to older permits? We do mostly new construction, and remodel work, and used to have to have a actual paper permit. Most of the communities I work in now have online access to all permits. I'm not terribly worried about saving any permits older than a couple of years, as I have rarely needed to refer to one in the past. I was just curious how some of you handled this.
WOW 21 POSTS IN 4 YEARS !

·
philosopher and statesmen
8,407 Posts
WOW 21 POSTS IN 4 YEARS !

He must be busy..... I dont keep any of mine
they can call down to the city county building if they
need to know who did the plumbing work in their home back in 2009...

they probably are looking for someone to sue or blame for something....
make them work hard for it

·
Super Moderator
11,482 Posts

I guess you could compare it to “when was the last time you cabled my main line?” FIIK!

·
4th year apprentice
1,113 Posts

The opposite can be true as well. The burden of proof could be put on you to show you got a permit. Very few municipal workers are there because they got a calling to do their job and are proud to do it to the best of their ability, they do it for the job security and benefits. There is seldom much accountability if they screw up, and the wrong decision, choice of storage methods, whatever, can mean that records can go missing. They can also mysteriously go missing if a liability issue could possibly affect them. They have no interest in helping you out at all.

·
8,407 Posts
The opposite can be true as well. The burden of proof could be put on you to show you got a permit. Very few municipal workers are there because they got a calling to do their job and are proud to do it to the best of their ability, they do it for the job security and benefits. There is seldom much accountability if they screw up, and the wrong decision, choice of storage methods, whatever, can mean that records can go missing. They can also mysteriously go missing if a liability issue could possibly affect them. They have no interest in helping you out at all.

I get folks on occasion trying to blame me for floods and issues in their homes...
We have been throwing our stickers onto every water heater and furnace and water softener if we just
walk into the home to give them an estimate. .....

then maybe 5 years pass and the heater bursts and floods the hell
out of the second floor of the home and sometimes they call me screaming that we did the work...
and they demand that my insurance company is gonna pay the bill.....

I tell them its only my advertisement on the unit and you will need to show
me the invoice for when the work was done by us....
that normally shuts them up

·
Super Moderator
9,747 Posts
I get folks on occasion trying to blame me for floods and issues in their homes...
We have been throwing our stickers onto every water heater and furnace and water softener if we just
walk into the home to give them an estimate. .....

then maybe 5 years pass and the heater bursts and floods the hell
out of the second floor of the home and sometimes they call me screaming that we did the work...
and they demand that my insurance company is gonna pay the bill.....

I tell them its only my advertisement on the unit and you will need to show
me the invoice for when the work was done by us....
that normally shuts them up

Up here it's up to the home owner to file a claim with his insurance. That insurance if so desires would sue yours. Then again burden of proof applies.

That's one reason I decided in many places not to put stickers, the blame game. I no longer put them anyway, how many places I've seen competitor stickers on the broken pipe under the sink and they didn't look at it. Same thing if it's new house for the dishwasher, they hire someone online. Same thing on main valves, you might see a tag and they never call the original company.

·
8,407 Posts
Up here it's up to the home owner to file a claim with his insurance. That insurance if so desires would sue yours. Then again burden of proof applies.

That's one reason I decided in many places not to put stickers, the blame game. I no longer put them anyway, how many places I've seen competitor stickers on the broken pipe under the sink and they didn't look at it. Same thing if it's new house for the dishwasher, they hire someone online. Same thing on main valves, you might see a tag and they never call the original company.
You are always gonna have some nut out there that is not gonna be happy no matter what you do.
so their is no reason not to advertise and brand every house you walk in..

I just recommended a gas service guy to help out some people about a month ago...
They called me yesterday needing the guys telephone number again so I gave it
to them and went about my business down at lowes....

They call me back screaming at me telling me that they are gonna file a complaint
on social media about that guy and about me for recommending him... seriously??:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:..
I started getting pretty loud in Lowes asking these fools what exactly I did to piss them off
and they claim the guy was too busy to deal with them this week and cussed them out... 😆 😆

I call this fellow on the phone and ask what is going on and he tells me he went out there for free to
check out their gas leak only to find that the toilet had sunk into the floor and had been dripping on
the gas line for so long that it ate a hole through the steel gas pipe..:eek::eek:.
He tested out the line for free

and then looked under the open crawl space to see a ton of Racoon crap and other signs of animals that
have lived under the home for years....basically the place was a hell hole and the people did not have a pot to piss in
and could not afford the service.... so he got the hell out of there and never looked back....

I was rather loud on the phone with them and told them to call BEN for the best price in town if they
could not wait any longer on the company I referred them to.. and keep meout of it.....

I sort of hope they give me a bad review so I can mention what a filthy hell hole their home is
and how their bathroom is sinking into the crawl space....

I reserve the right to deny service to anyone if they are too filthy...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts