Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Scenario...Been to house a couple of times to repair leaking underground poly pipe. Advised customer it will continue to break and leak. Gave customer quote on
replacing well line of approximately 250 feet. Customer never had work done.

Now one year later, customer sold house and did not tell new owner of previous problems. By means of well people my name came up that had previously repaired line. New owners now want me to write in letter that I previously advised that line should be replaced. I told her that I will not write anything down that I do not completely, 100 percent remember. She says I may to have to give a deposition. But all I can do is go by previous work orders.

What say you?

·
Banned
3,806 Posts
Honestly present what you have, if they depose you tell the truth as you recall it, but tell them up front that they will be charged an hourly rate for a deposition.

·
Retired Moderator
6,781 Posts
yeh, bust them good. How would you feel if you were the new HO?

I had a man who wanted me to cover up some rotted floor joists under his porch. Then he wanted me to state in my invoice that the rotted wood was replaced! I told him no way, I am not being liable for that. He was probably told by the new HO that they needed to be fixed and was trying to weasel his way out.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, I guess I'll give them copies of what I have and nothing more. Just give it a wait and see, wait for the next call...

·
waterheaterzone.com
2,043 Posts
I had a man who wanted me to cover up some rotted floor joists under his porch. Then he wanted me to state in my invoice that the rotted wood was replaced!
I would probably tell the guy some serious obscenities :censored: and walk away...there is nothing I hate more than someone who is blatantly dishonest and deceptive like that! What an A-hole!

·
residential service
1,948 Posts
Scenario...Been to house a couple of times to repair leaking underground poly pipe. Advised customer it will continue to break and leak. Gave customer quote on
replacing well line of approximately 250 feet. Customer never had work done.

Now one year later, customer sold house and did not tell new owner of previous problems. By means of well people my name came up that had previously repaired line. New owners now want me to write in letter that I previously advised that line should be replaced. I told her that I will not write anything down that I do not completely, 100 percent remember. She says I may to have to give a deposition. But all I can do is go by previous work orders.

What say you?
I'd tell them what I told the original owner. Who are you trying to protect? The person who spurned your counsel and chose not to do business with you and why would they be in trouble anyway unless they were asked specifically about the condition of the line and lied about it. Did the buyer purchase a home inspection (worthless as they usually are). It's not your problem. If it goes to court, who better to serve as an expert witness, for expert witness fees, than you.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That sounds like fraud. I would NEVER document something that was different from what was actually done ( no matter what the customer requests)

I like to sleep at night and probably 80 percent of my business is word of mouth referrals.

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
Sounds like the job I just completed. Sewer line "fixed" before Ho bought the house. 2,000$ later its fixed. He wanted everything documented that I found. I had no problem with it. He said that he was thinking about filing a lawsuit. If he does I imagine he will throw our name in the mix.....

·
Plumbing and Gas SCO
1,437 Posts
I had a person call me to inspect their furnaces. I found they had 2 furnaces for the house set up in a lean-to next to the house. this "structure" was so full of holses there were leaves blown up against the furnces. Needless to say, the exchangers were shot. I then found out that they were leasing the home, not the owners. I wrote my findings on the invoice which the leasers paid. months later I got the summons. They were breaking their lease after only 2 months and were being sued by the owner. Thankfully it was settled before I had to testify. I hate going to court. Of course, most appearances have been as the accused;)

·
Banned
1,589 Posts
I have a large number of clients that are fairly new homeowners.

Many of these are folks that are duped by previous homeowners DIY attempts to boost selling price.

Every single time I feel like the bad guy when I explain work has to be ripped out or replaced.

One thread I started here where a R.E. agent tried to tell me I didn't know what I was talking about when I told the buyer the backpitched basement bath drain was useless...I truly enjoyed showing her how wrong she was...in such a rush to profit with no regard to the fact that she was trying to pawn an in-house cesspool off as a second bath.

I hate greed.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts