Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We generally have an answering machine we let take MOST of our calls for us, and call back as we can fit things in. When we get to work if there isn't anything going on, we usually sit around until at least 2 or 3 in the afternoon waiting for the phone to ring with a service call. :rolleyes:

I get paid no matter whats going on, so I guess thats a plus for me, but normally i'd rather be working on my house or doing something productive.

What do you do when its slow? :whistling2:

·
Chase Plumber
289 Posts
Well, since we not only do Plumbing, there's a lot of stuff to do when no work at all is going on.

I have 5 pieces of heavy equipment so there's always some "pre-maintenance" to do to each one. Also, there's a lot of grass to mow and trim, lol.

The Winter is pretty "dead". We usually stay busy from around Feb or March all the way untill Nov. December and January are the slowest times of the year for us.

·
Banned
8,808 Posts
On commission, when there is nothing I don't get nothing, get to go home and wait, do things around the house, but when it's not slow I make good money. Oh did I mention I also work for the government 17 hrs out of 40.

·
Registered
344 Posts
If you have service trucks then there is never 'nothing' to do. They always need to be cleaned, restocked, maintained, washed, waxed, etc.

If you have a shop, there are bathrooms to clean, floors to sweep, mop, wax. Stock to put away, inventories to take, etc.

We used to pay a guaranteed 40 hours at $15.00 base pay per hour or commission on sales made. They would always get the larger of the two.

There is always something to do. Usually the guys with the best attitudes and the ones that would enroll in continuing education courses, and in general did their jobs better (paperwork correct, on time, money right, etc) would get sent home to wait until 12:00 for a call back to work (80 times out of 100, they did not get called unless there was an emergency). The ones that didn't got to work all day long in the shop or on the trucks.

·
Banned
913 Posts
We generally have an answering machine we let take MOST of our calls for us, and call back as we can fit things in. When we get to work if there isn't anything going on, we usually sit around until at least 2 or 3 in the afternoon waiting for the phone to ring with a service call. :rolleyes:

I get paid no matter whats going on, so I guess thats a plus for me, but normally i'd rather be working on my house or doing something productive.

What do you do when its slow? :whistling2:
As a business owner, when times are slow, we work our a$$e$ off re-evaluating marketing ideas and looking for new opportunities. Last thing we want to do is pay our plumbers for doing nothing. We needed some carpentry work done at our home and one of our plumbers can do carpentry work, so we had him build two closets & a built in bench seat. Turned out really nice. Like Alan, most people want to feel they earned their paycheck.

If we have absolutely nothing on the books for the morning, we have let our plumbers stay home and dispatch from their homes. This is only after the shop is clean, trucks clean etc.

·
Registered
584 Posts
No one at the place I work has ever been sent home early and paid for it. If their is nothing to do you clean and stock trucks, clean the shop, wash trucks, sort scrap metal, or find something else to do. If all that really is done you get sent to do yard work or something at one of the bosses houses.

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
In the last 2 yrs I havent had a check with less than 40 hrs. When I did I elected to go home early or took a day off. Over 300 hrs overtime this year and there doesnt look like any end to it for now. Espically since this hurricane is looming. We also have an HVAC department so if we are slow we help them out, but its very rare, most of the time they are helping us because we are strung out....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts