Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do you guys effeciently store pex rolls in your vans. They seem to take up a lot of space

·
Super Moderator
7,476 Posts
That's the way I prefer to do it, but the man wants rolls
Ask your boss if you can try the 20’ers for a month to see the difference in time efficiency and quality of work. I’m sure there’s a little price difference between rolls and sticks but there is a huge difference in labor cost. Make it a $10 bet.

We stock 80’ each on the truck and when we have a repipe coming up we a buy what we need.

·
Registered
4,134 Posts
How do you guys effeciently store pex rolls in your vans. They seem to take up a lot of space
Ask your boss if you can try the 20’ers for a month to see the difference in time efficiency and quality of work. I’m sure there’s a little price difference between rolls and sticks but there is a huge difference in labor cost. Make it a $10 bet.

We stock 80’ each on the truck and when we have a repipe coming up we a buy what we need.

DOODS.

Put a 6" pipe on your roof rack with cleanouts. Unroll your pex and cut it into lengths to fit in the pipe. This will be cheaper because you're buying rolls and the pipe will straighten out. The plastic couplings for viega pex are like 1$.

You can probably fit a 15' pipe on your rack. If you use black ABS pipe it will stay warmer and the pex inside will straighten out better.

Y'know, I've never seen anything bigger than 4" ABS........

·
Super Moderator
7,476 Posts

Thats 80’ red and blue. We usually have a couple sticks of white to designate hard lines, but it’s kinda rare that we use it.

·
Registered
8,959 Posts
what do you mean " store"? I carry them like copper tubing, just hanging off a bracket bolted on the shelves...if I have a big job, then the truck gets packed tight and unloaded into where im working...

·
Registered
4,134 Posts
We don't usually use pex rolls except occasionally on some really lowball newcon. We almost exclusively use 10' and 20' fosta pex. Fosta pex comes in rolls but it's a bear for anything over 1/2" and is very difficult to straighten. I keep 10' sticks on the van.

I have two 4" pipes on the rack for storage and three hanging from the ceiling of the van. I do have a roll of BX, a roll of 1/4" copper, and a roll of 5/8" copper bungeed to the back of the drivers side of my cage. I guess that's the closest I come to your idea.

Sticking past the passengers head I can get 12' pieces. One of my top tubes is also 12'. It's nice when I can get 12' pieces left over from jobsites because then when I replace a 10' piece in a house I can cut on either side of te existing couplings. Also, when running down a wall from a joist bay you often need two 6' pieces as 5' usually doesn't quite make it.

·
Registered
4,134 Posts
all white 20 ' sticks in a 20' of 4" on the roof. 1/2 fits inside of 3/4 . about 240' of each fits in the 4"
So you're telling me that you can fit 12 pieces of 3/4" pex in a 4" pipe? WOW. Never tried that much.

Reactions: Sushison

·
Registered
4,134 Posts
So get this schit, you can fit 15 pieces of 3/4" pex in a 4" pipe and they can easily slide.

I find it ironic that I cut these off a roll :)

·
canuckPlumBbob
868 Posts
I just wrap the 20' lengths in the top of my van in some pvc.
Nothing on the roof an its out of the way.
I do have a roll of heatlink bungy to my one shelf...if taking forever to use it.
Someone else call in an order, i picked it up now i have a roll on my truck for a year.

·
Registered
8,959 Posts
heres a trick to straighten coiled pex......crinp a hose adapter on 1 end and run hot water through the coil from a washing machine outlet or the bottom of the water heater..in a few miutes the coil will be soft and pliable ..just a little water on the inside, or you can blow it out..works great for doing radiant heat loops, lays nice and flat and your not fighting a frozen garden hose material..

·
Registered
21 Posts
heres a trick to straighten coiled pex......crinp a hose adapter on 1 end and run hot water through the coil from a washing machine outlet or the bottom of the water heater..in a few miutes the coil will be soft and pliable ..just a little water on the inside, or you can blow it out..works great for doing radiant heat loops, lays nice and flat and your not fighting a frozen garden hose material..
i love that trick. Especially here where the winters are extra cold.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts