Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Homeowner had already shut down water to the house because shower valve would not shut off. I rebuilt the Kohler valve and while I was testing it I couldn’t have my hand under the water for longer than a half a second. Temperature dial on the WH wasn’t set too high so I told them it’s time to replace the 7 year old heater

·
Registered
Certified Smart Ass
344 Posts
Homeowner had already shut down water to the house because shower valve would not shut off. I rebuilt the Kohler valve and while I was testing it I couldn’t have my hand under the water for longer than a half a second. Temperature dial on the WH wasn’t set too high so I told them it’s time to replace the 7 year old heater View attachment 130410
Don't fall on the shower valve. Yikes.

·
Registered
Plumber
38 Posts
That’s pretty scary, was it a menards water heater? I had a customer once who had some American Water Heater or whatever brand he got from menards or Lowe’s or somewhere cooking the water up like that, to 145 or 150 or something. The temp control was set right but the heater was still putting out scalding water. It was a three year old power vent, I told him we didn’t repair box store heaters and quoted him a new one. Next day he calls me and says “yeah your quote was really high, I could t believe how high it was. They have water heaters way cheaper than that at Lowe’s”. I don’t really care about losing this job so I tell him ok, what do you want? He says “I got a buddy who knows a lot about plumbing so we installed it ourselves”. Ok, I say, what do you want? He says “should the vent be hot”. I tell him yeah, it’s the vent, it will get hot. He tells me it’s really hot, as in the PVC is melting, turning black, and smoking. I tell him to shut it off immediately, ask him if the blower fan is running or not. He says “my buddy said you don’t actually need those blower fans, I guess I need to go back to Lowe’s and buy a blower???”. I told him he needs to take the heater back and buy a new one, you can’t install a blower on a draft vent heater. Phone got real queit for a while and then he just says “oh, ok” and hangs up. Hopefully his kids are still alive.

·
Premium Member
70 Posts
That’s pretty scary, was it a menards water heater? I had a customer once who had some American Water Heater or whatever brand he got from menards or Lowe’s or somewhere cooking the water up like that, to 145 or 150 or something. The temp control was set right but the heater was still putting out scalding water. It was a three year old power vent, I told him we didn’t repair box store heaters and quoted him a new one. Next day he calls me and says “yeah your quote was really high, I could t believe how high it was. They have water heaters way cheaper than that at Lowe’s”. I don’t really care about losing this job so I tell him ok, what do you want? He says “I got a buddy who knows a lot about plumbing so we installed it ourselves”. Ok, I say, what do you want? He says “should the vent be hot”. I tell him yeah, it’s the vent, it will get hot. He tells me it’s really hot, as in the PVC is melting, turning black, and smoking. I tell him to shut it off immediately, ask him if the blower fan is running or not. He says “my buddy said you don’t actually need those blower fans, I guess I need to go back to Lowe’s and buy a blower???”. I told him he needs to take the heater back and buy a new one, you can’t install a blower on a draft vent heater. Phone got real queit for a while and then he just says “oh, ok” and hangs up. Hopefully his kids are still alive.
He should have offered to pay you.

·
Registered
6,715 Posts
In hindsight I should have told him to fill the vent with hydraulic cement and call a priest to exorcise the vent demon.
I wouldn't have helped him at all other than to say you would come over and fix it at your normal rate.

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
I would have said sounds about right,c-ya

1 - 11 of 11 Posts