Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Retired Moderator
6,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are doing some carpentry work in a day care center and when I washed out the paint brush I got burned by the hot water. It is hot enough to hard boil an egg. I told the centers administrator and she went back to see and sure enough she felt it too. She said someone came and changed the water heater and removed a box that used to be above it. From what she described it was the tempering valve. These kids are pre school on up in age and I told her I would hate to see one of them get burned. She is going to ask her son tonight what the other plumber done. I gave her a couple of choices. Just wanted your opinion on which route to go.

1) Install a tempering valve above the heater, but that means trying to isolate the lines going to the 3 bathrooms

2) Turn down the water heater to a safe level, then installing an insta hot at the dish washing area

Any thoughts?
The lines are covered up in the walls and ceiling, so it will make it hard to isolate them. I could use compressed air to tell I guess.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
You could probably use an under sink tempering valve, ASSE 1016, dont have the exacts in front of me but use them alot here if there is room:thumbsup:

·
Retired Moderator
6,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I thought that too, but there is an electrical code concerning plugs near water in a day care center though

·
Registered
30 Posts
Turn down the hot water tank setting. What kind of hot water tank?

Anything like that should be controlled. Its code here in Canada for anything to do with kids, elderly, and disabled. All hospitals have to have tempered controls. Anyway, should be able to adjust it on the tank, take it down to 80 if you can, might be the lowest you can go.

Get us the make and model and could probably tell ya more.

J.

·
Retired Moderator
6,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Turning down the heater? Legionares Disease possible, plus you want to keep it hot for automatic washer and laundry, just my random musings:thumbsup:
That was my thought too, need that hot hot for dish's
Thats why if I turn it down, I would use an insta hot at the sink for dish

·
Professional Bullshioter
6,092 Posts
A t-stat on a water heater is not an approved temperature regulating device.

Put an approved tempering valve under each lav that is for public use. Set the WH @ 140. Set the hot side of the public fixtures to 105-110. It takes younguns a little longer to process getting burned and remove their hand.

·
Professional Bullshioter
6,092 Posts
I type too slow:thumbup:

Good replies everybody.:laughing:

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
We installed tempering valves on baby washing stations at a hospital down here. They work great and are easy to install.

·
Master Plumber
1,069 Posts
Don't use a tempering valve for that location. No way!

Use a mixing valve. Costs double but it's really your only option.

·
Professional Bullshioter
6,092 Posts
Don't use a tempering valve for that location. No way!

Use a mixing valve. Costs double but it's really your only option.
Huh?

A mixing valve mixes the incoming waters at a set ratio no matter what the temperature.

You need tempering valves. Preferably with a fail safe cold water bypass built in. ASSE 1071 (I think)

When a regular tempering valve fails it is to the full hot side of the spectrum.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts