Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I HAVE A 3 STORY BUILDING THAT HAS A HEATER ON THE 2nd floor. IT HAS A RECIRCULATING PUMP AND MIXER VALVE ON IT WHICH SUPPLYS THE BATHROOMS WITH 120 DEGREE WATER AND THE KITCHEN WITH 140. THE WATER IS HEATED BY A BOILER AND THEN GOES TO A STORAGE TANK. MY PROBLEM IS THAT ON THE 1ST FLOOR THE BATH ROOM IN THE KITCHEN HAS NO HW AT TIMES. IF YOU TURN IT ON IT IS COLD. IF YOU LEAVE IT ON AND TURN ON THE COLD WATER AT ANOTHER SINK IT WILL GET HOT FOR A LITTLE WHILE THEN GO COLD AGAIN. THIS IS THE ONLY SINK THAT DOES THIS. WE HAVE BATHROOMS ON ALL FLOORS. THE ONLY THING I KNOW WAS THAT SOMEONE MY HAVE TIED A COLD WATER LINE IN TO THE HOT SOMEWHERE. ANY SUGGESTION?

·
Banned
8,808 Posts
HI Plumbingitall,

Welcome to PZ do me a favor and try not to use all caps, makes it hard to read. Thanks for coming over here from CT.

·
Banned
8,808 Posts
Nothing but plumbers on here, so give it time and I'm sure some will chime in. I was only able to think of a possible bleed over from a mixing shower valve or a single control faucet some where.

·
Banned
8,808 Posts
What brand of faucets are in the building again?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Welcome, I agree with Ron, More than likely it's a shower valve. Could be a cartridge or checkstops for the valve, depends on what type.

·
Retired Moderator
6,781 Posts
I am not sure either, but I do recall a restaurant that called me back for hot water to the toilets. Come to find out the pre wash sink hot and cold was always left on. It was turned off by a valve on the sprayer. This meant that when the toilets flushed, the hot water was being driven into the cold lines through the open faucet.

·
Banned
8,808 Posts
I am not sure either, but I do recall a restaurant that called me back for hot water to the toilets. Come to find out the pre wash sink hot and cold was always left on. It was turned off by a valve on the sprayer. This meant that when the toilets flushed, the hot water was being driven into the cold lines through the open faucet.
T&S pre-rinse is known for that problem, I was checking out why the coke machines when they called for water it was sending hot water to them, come to find out, they would leave a T&S faucet on causing hot water to flow into the cold side of the system, told them to make a sign hang it up on sink to remind them to turn it off after each use.

·
Banned
8,808 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts

I've also seen this with service sink faucets that someone attached some kind of cleaners with a valve on it. Crosses right over if there's no checkstops built in to the faucet.

·
Registered
79 Posts
T&S pre-rinse is known for that problem, I was checking out why the coke machines when they called for water it was sending hot water to them, come to find out, they would leave a T&S faucet on causing hot water to flow into the cold side of the system, told them to make a sign hang it up on sink to remind them to turn it off after each use.
I've installed spring check valves on the cold supply to fix this problem.

·
Banned
8,808 Posts
T&S makes hot side stem with a check in them.

·
Banned
8,808 Posts
Are the T&S faucet/s left on at anytime or all the time, could be just what we have talked about.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I am not going to rule it out but my thinking is that the kit has its on hot water supply straight from the heater,and the bathrooms fead off the 120 degree side of the mixing valve which is on the 2nd floor

·
Banned
8,808 Posts
Can you do any isolation's, process of eliminations.

Reactions: Airgap

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Will try monday and let you know; thanks again for the advice. Just needed a few other things to think about. They always say two heads or better than one and in this case 3 or 4 is better

·
Banned
8,808 Posts
Cool, do let us know, and don't be a stranger, hope to hear from you in the other topics.. :)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts