Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Retired Moderator
6,781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have to go out tomorrow and repair a leaking hose bib. When I installed it, I told the HO just because they were frost free dont mean you can leave the hose connected!
The whole time we built his garage I noticed the hose was always connected to the spigot. Now he says it leaks. Got down right cold lately, bet he left the hose attached:furious:

·
Banned
8,808 Posts
Yep you can't leave the hose connected when temps drop to the freezing levels.

·
Banned
8,808 Posts
Pull it and if you see it split, tell him he left the hose attached.

·
Professional Bullshioter
6,092 Posts
I like the woodfords that drain out even with the hose attached. Can't think of the number. May be a 65

Reactions: Bill

·
Retired Moderator
6,781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cool! Thanks IL, I am going to look into that. If its true, then thats the only one I will sell them for now on!

Not that I mind making money on return calls, but I really dont like to go back. I got better things to do.

·
Professional Bullshioter
6,092 Posts
look for the one with a 1/2" diameter pipe sloping towards a hole in the front as well as the 3/4" pipe to the outlet.

·
Banned
383 Posts
I like the woodfords that drain out even with the hose attached. Can't think of the number. May be a 65
the woodford 19c has a burst disc that will prevent the tube from splitting. also woodford has a warrenty written on the box that states they will pay up to 5,000.00$ for any damages that occur to the property if the disc fails and the tube splits.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I replace about 150 of them per year. If its split...someone left the hose on. I write it on my warranty. I never have a problem that way. I tell people directly the warranty is void if it is split by ice.
Damn, thats about 3 a week. I replace about 30 a year i guess...

·
Retired Moderator
6,781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I fixed it today. Or should I say I replaced it. Boss man installed one of those silver made in Taiwan 1/4 turn ones. I went and got a Woodford. Now I can sleep!

·
Registered
584 Posts
You know what they say about the shoemakers kids...

I live in NY and we have a good amount of freezing weather. I have silcocks in my old house and never disconnect the hoses. I never even shut off the valves to them because the old valves on the galvanized pipe are shot. You guys would laugh if you saw the plumbing at my house. It looks like a drunk monkey did it. Copper-galvanized and back, and back to copper again, half inch risers feeding two full baths, a half inch copper line running from my house feeding my garage apartment 40' away (thank God we have great pressure), the valve for the apartment located above the sheetrock ontop of the boiler 15' from where it goes out of the house, a one inch line going half way across the house just to end in a 1x1/2x1/2 tee feeding nothing but the apartment and boiler, valves to nowhere with no caps on them and I could go on.

It's really bad. I guess I figure if the pipe splits I have an excuse to start replacing all the crap down there.

·
Registered
843 Posts
There is a model of Woodford that automatically drains that is priced more for the homeowner - they're about double the cost of the standard faucet. They have a regular handle and are not recessed. It's the model 25.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Well I had to open my mouth. This morning the line to my kitchen sink froze. It didn't burst but it sure was pain to get it defrosted.

·
Professional Bullshioter
6,092 Posts
There is a model of Woodford that automatically drains that is priced more for the homeowner - they're about double the cost of the standard faucet. They have a regular handle and are not recessed. It's the model 25.

I prefer the 27 to the 25. The 27 doesn't soak the homeowner when they shut the bibb off with a spray nozzle on the end of the hose.

The 27 uses a double check as opposed to the atmospheric vacuum breaker on the 25.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts