Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone else even installed one of these horse drinking water station? It is definitely different than the normal cattle bowls I typically install with a heating element built into it. This one the horse pushes down on the float when it wants water and it fills up. When it’s done the unit self drains. It’s the first one I’ve ever installed.

Attachments

·
4th year apprentice
416 Posts
What brand is it? The Bar-Bar A waterer works on the same principle. I actually have one, but have yet to install it. I have yet to find a bad review about it. Don't know why they are not more common.

·
Registered
4,875 Posts

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2,082 Posts
Unless you have a designated line going back to a backflow preventer here in Illinois they are not code complaint. Draining down into the ground creates a possible contamination. You would need at least a dual check valve on a designated line to a basement, etc. where the preventer can be located and serviced. The line inside would need to be clearly marked "Non-potable" with a red plaque.

If there is anything else on the line (mostly yard hydrant types), the device needs to be self-contained, sanitary & aspirate any water left within the device.

·
Registered
9,614 Posts
Unless you have a designated line going back to a backflow preventer here in Illinois they are not code complaint. Draining down into the ground creates a possible contamination. You would need at least a dual check valve on a designated line to a basement, etc. where the preventer can be located and serviced. The line inside would need to be clearly marked "Non-potable" with a red plaque.

If there is anything else on the line (mostly yard hydrant types), the device needs to be self-contained, sanitary & aspirate any water left within the device.

LOL..clearly you havent experienced country plumbing...upstate by me there are NO plumbing inspectors and no plumbing licenses are needed out in rural areas and only a few bigger cities require a plumbing license...to say its rogue would be an understatement ...I have seen some of the work done and its a hackers dreamland...I couldnt do such fuked up work if I tried...its unreal what the hacks get away with, even on new houses and work...out in the country anything goes...I believe because everyone has their own well and septic system, so you only poison yourself if you screw up...

·
Registered
4,875 Posts
LOL..clearly you havent experienced country plumbing...upstate by me there are NO plumbing inspectors and no plumbing licenses are needed out in rural areas and only a few bigger cities require a plumbing license...to say its rogue would be an understatement ...I have seen some of the work done and its a hackers dreamland...I couldnt do such fuked up work if I tried...its unreal what the hacks get away with, even on new houses and work...out in the country anything goes...I believe because everyone has their own well and septic system, so you only poison yourself if you screw up...

This is very true in a backwater town near me. There is this one house with 5 cottages next to it, all 5 cottages go into a septic tank that is an old stainless milk truck with partitions welded in for baffles. 4500 gallons.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts