Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
Plumber
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have worked my entire life trying to have that white picket fence single-family home dream. After a nasty divorce I finally had enough. Already spent most of the day in my truck. I downsize everything that I own to a single storage unit. I have a hammock that'll stretch from one into my truck to the other inside. Going to go get a gym membership so I can shower. I can save almost $2,500 a month if I can keep it up. From time to time I guess I'll rent a hotel room. Has anybody else done this before?

I figure if I do this for a few years I might have the money to outright by a place. And I suppose I'll get a lot of camping and fishing in that I've missed over the years.

·
Super Moderator
9,616 Posts
My mom is going to live the nomad life. She’s building her ride now. Solar panels, insulating the walls floor and ceiling. She’s Retired, living on SSI. There’s a large community out there that lives this way! Of course you won’t have the luxury of chasing the seasons.

·
Registered
Master Plumber
382 Posts
I have a friend who works from home in the IT field and they homeschool their kids. They are selling the house and going to be full time RVing around the country. I think the biggest challenge you’ll have is making sure you have a place to park your van every night.

·
Super Moderator
9,616 Posts
I have a friend who works from home in the IT field and they homeschool their kids. They are selling the house and going to be full time RVing around the country. I think the biggest challenge you’ll have is making sure you have a place to park your van every night.
If there’s state parks that allow camping, or state land that you can get a permit to camp. We have state hunting land here where you can get a three month permit for $50 iirc. But that’s here….

·
philosopher and statesmen
7,840 Posts
Its fun for a summer or two.... the places you can stay still cost money and you do not really know what
you are camping next to... Out on the Oregon coast , which I have been traveling down and back up again
for the last 4 summers their are a lot of people literally living out of their RVS... You can go by any wallmart
from Astoria all the way down to California and park in the parking lot indefinitely ....

eventually you will get homesick

·
Registered
6,714 Posts
Wal-mart has a company policy of allowing people to park in their lots overnight.

·
Registered
6,714 Posts
Best suggestion I can give is DO NOT sleep in your driver's seat. Your body will learn it's okay to sleep in that position and it makes it much more likely you'll fall asleep while driving.

I've had a couple times where I "almost" nodded off and it's extremely upsetting. I got lucky.

·
Super Moderator
9,616 Posts
Best suggestion I can give is DO NOT sleep in your driver's seat. Your body will learn it's okay to sleep in that position and it makes it much more likely you'll fall asleep while driving.

I've had a couple times where I "almost" nodded off and it's extremely upsetting. I got lucky.
Nodding off when I was a teen between work and school I was sleeping 6 hours every two days, yeah it happened. Nothing bad happened, thankfully!

·
7,840 Posts
Wal-mart has a company policy of allowing people to park in their lots overnight.

I have gone by the wall mart outside of Astoria Oregon and they have about 15 rvs sitting out there with the charcoal grills
going and it looks like that they are having a party.... They probably go buy their supplies in the wall mart so I guess its a
win-win for wall mart

·
Registered
6,714 Posts
I have gone by the wall mart outside of Astoria Oregon and they have about 15 rvs sitting out there with the charcoal grills
going and it looks like that they are having a party.... They probably go buy their supplies in the wall mart so I guess its a
win-win for wall mart
Pretty much. If a Katrina wipes out a trailer park and hundreds of people end up living in a Wal-Mart parking lot you can be damned sure they will make buku bucks. They have to replace all that Nascar memorabilia somehow!

·
7,840 Posts
Pretty much. If a Katrina wipes out a trailer park and hundreds of people end up living in a Wal-Mart parking lot you can be damned sure they will make buku bucks. They have to replace all that Nascar memorabilia somehow!
It was sort of funny in Oregon...... they had all their tools in wall mart locked behind windows... you could not get your hands on
channel lock pliers, screwdrivers or anything necessary to make repairs.... I had to ask the lady to open up the shelves so I could get
a few items and she said they had to keep it locked down due to all the RVs in the parking lot... People were coming in and shoplifting
the tools they needed to make repairs out in the parking lot...

·
4th year apprentice
693 Posts
Nodding off when I was a teen between work and school I was sleeping 6 hours every two days, yeah it happened. Nothing bad happened, thankfully!
Same here. Woke up inches from a guard rail when driving one time. That was when I was working 3 jobs when I was younger. That's why it enfuriates me when I see 20-somethings on every corner begging for handouts.

In my area the Walmart parking thing is almost completely gone. A lot of the towns passed ordinances forbidding it, since the deadbeats took over and caused problems that required police intervention almost daily. Another good thing ruined because we tolerate and encorage the deadbeats of society to do their Jerry Springer act instead of behave like decent citizens. There are still other places, like truck stops that have been designed and have known how to handle travelers for years. As much as I hate Walmart I thought it was a great idea, and I would have taken advantage of it when traveling, but the only problem with hanging out at Walmart is that you have to associate with the Walmartians. I avoid the place as much as possible. When I do need something there I always think that the circus must be in town.

·
Registered
Plumber
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yes I see people living in RVs all the time out where I work. And Walmart does have the policy to allow overnight parking. There's also the National Park. Of course the occasional sleep at a friend or family's place.

I'm just so used to driving home taking my shoes off and sitting in my recliner. Which is actually a really poor way to spend the evening there's lots of family and friends that I'm able to go visit.

My gym operates on a 24-hour schedule.

I dont want to do it forever. Hell I want to retire some day... I just need a way to save alot of money as fast as possible.

·
Registered
6,714 Posts
Yes I see people living in RVs all the time out where I work. ...............
I dont want to do it forever. Hell I want to retire some day... I just need a way to save alot of money as fast as possible.
My buddy is a semi-retired GC/Carpenter. His travel trailer is more then he wants for camping trips these days so he took his work trailer and put a bed with some storage and some cabinets inside. Hooked up some led lights on the ceiling and a deep cycle so it can be lit without a vehicle all the time. No windows, just one popup vent on top and some louvered grills down low. When it's closed up it looks like any other small work trailer.

Get a work trailer, put your company name/license in small print on the side. You can park it where ever and people will just assume a job is going on, not that you're sleeping inside.

·
7,840 Posts
I just about bought this beauty out in california off of E-bay about 4 years ago... they wanted 4500
for it with about 46,000 miles on it...... 1979 dodje mobile home

Thought about flying out there and driving it home.... if it broke down on the way I would have just
abandoned it and took a bus the rest of the way..... it would have been a real adventure......LOL
but my wife talked me out of it.... said I was nuts....

this is what you need to live in till you find your balance...

·
Registered
Plumber
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So I've been sleeping in my truck for a while. Not terrible. I do enjoy sleeping in a hammock. However I found an office space perfect for me. Setting up shop. 24hr service. Getting rid of the storage unit. Signing the lease tonight.

It will be cool because I will be able to play my guitars, hell maybe get a band rolling.

Gonna see how long i can live there without getting caught up. Its gonna cost a third of what i pay for a house around here.

·
Registered
3,318 Posts
So I've been sleeping in my truck for a while. Not terrible. I do enjoy sleeping in a hammock. However I found an office space perfect for me. Setting up shop. 24hr service. Getting rid of the storage unit. Signing the lease tonight.

It will be cool because I will be able to play my guitars, hell maybe get a band rolling.

Gonna see how long i can live there without getting caught up. Its gonna cost a third of what i pay for a house around here.
Nice, is there a shower or do you have to do the wet rag trick?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts