Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I use to have a set of Jet Swets but I was out of plumbing for two years and have no idea where they went. I got $5.51 worth of supplies at Ace and will make my own. I'll let you know if it works.

·
Banned
8,808 Posts
Post a picture and instructions on how you made it.

·
Banned
6,437 Posts
I use to have a set of Jet Swets but I was out of plumbing for two years and have no idea where they went. I got $5.51 worth of supplies at Ace and will make my own. I'll let you know if it works.
You can by replacement rubber grommets from "jet sweat" to help make your own. just an idea......I'm sure you may know this!!!

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You can by replacement rubber grommets from "jet sweat" to help make your own. just an idea......I'm sure you may know this!!!
Ya, I did that once before but nobody around here sells them.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have had alot of luck with just a supply line and a rag or sponge. depending on what size line you are working on ( most of my stuff was bigger) wrap the rag around the supply or pipe and slide it in the pipe you are fixing 3" or 4" the water backs up at the rag and runs out the supply.A full port b valve or a tee adapter and plug and you are good to go. Don't work for much preasure but takes away that pesky stream that you can't chase away.

·
Registered
590 Posts
I made one years ago from a new cast iron bypass plug http://webstore.petersenresources.com/143-6Castironbodyplugs.aspx

I had to modify the 3' rubber to fit inside of 2.5" copper and used a piece of 1/2" black pipe about 3' long to get it into the pipe and to give enough sticking out for the water to drain out and away.

That is one of those custom made tools that shows the ingenuity (common sense) that some of us possess and that what is lacking in most of the ones coming up in the trades today

·
Plumber, Totally
86 Posts
Wrap a rag around 1/4" copper, Jamb the thing up inside the pipe you're working on, make sure the rag is very compressed, full-port BV slides over the 1/4" cu, and SWEAT QUICKLY! Similar to WePlumb's suggestion, 2 posts up.
Not perfect, but workable sometimes!
Total

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I finally found time last night and put my 3/4 jet swet together.
It turned out great a cost less than five bucks. I will post pics
This weekend-my Internet is not working at my home.

·
every tool is a hammer
4,304 Posts
My 3/4" jet swet is broken.Of course I needed it today. I was soldering a ball valve while my apprentice was sticking a piece of 1/2" copper down thru the ball valve and making a vacuum with his thumb and pulling it out, dumping it and repeating. I never would have got it flying solo.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
These are the parts I used. I didn’t need all the washers and nuts. The rubber is something I got at Ace Hardware. I don’t know it’s official name but I had to cut off the top. It has a 3/8 female thread in it.

This is partly put together. I used ½ copper on the outside and the inside is a twelve-inch piece of threaded rod.

It’s done.

·
Banned
6,437 Posts
hey those would be good to make custom lenghts in a tight spot......good work man! have you tested it somehow? Your gonna get sued!!!!! lol

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
hey those would be good to make custom lenghts in a tight spot......good work man! have you tested it somehow? Your gonna get sued!!!!! lol
I only tested buy putting it in a 3/4 pipe and trying to pull it out. It held tight. I need to make a 1/2 one now. I needed it the other day. A 1" is also in order since I change a few 1" gate valves once in a while.

·
Registered
752 Posts
1 - 18 of 18 Posts