Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wrapped up a two day water repipe of an old house, ripped out a bunch of galvanized, ran new copper from the meter into the basement mechanical room and to a few fixtures, then PEX to the rest. Second floor bath, main floor bath, laundry, silcock, etc. Pretty involved, lots of plaster getting ripped out, lots of naughty words said, the whole time cussing the home flippers that threw down all new tile, cabinets, countertops, tub, surround, vanity, and found ways to screw the plumber at every turn. I get why they do what they do but I still curse their names. Anyway, wrapped up, collected a hefty check, went home and tried to forget about the job, they called back and said the tub was leaking when they showered. So I went out there today and found this. Some bum had ran a screw directly through the shower riser, we must have done enough jostling to cause it to start leaking. Luckily the leaking started before they fixed all the plaster we ripped out I suppose.
Rectangle Wood Floor Flooring Wood stain

Brown Wood Automotive exterior Wood stain Hardwood

·
Super Moderator
9,997 Posts
Back in ‘01 or ‘02 had a leak call at a jewelry store. There was water leaking from the wall behind the counter. No plumbing on either side. So I cut open the wall to find a screw in a 3/4” copper pipe. I asked the manager how long they occupied the location. 20 years with no remodel.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I will also add that this was more of the last straw, I kept finding garbage. Slip joint p-trap for the tub drain buried behind plaster, Moen tub/shower valve not anchored to anything, cobbled up waste piping under upstairs lav, tried to remove a 3/8" chrome plated brass nipple between two floors, found the tile guy tiled/grouted right over a loose brass union half, just little crap like that everywhere. There have been so many hopes flipped in the last ten years and the vast majority were done by the biggest hacks on the planet, and it's the people buying the homes who are going to pay dearly. Any chance I get to narc on a hack flipper I drop the dime.

·
Registered
7,050 Posts
Twice I've found leaks caused by a nail or screw that took over a decade to start leaking. Just needed the right kick in the pants.
Just before Covid I was in a McMansion and had to do something with a washing machine in a closet. I had to take a shelf down and when I removed the screw I started getting sprayed!!

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I hope you charged them lots of money!
I actually cut them a deal on the shower riser, they just moved in and the home appeared to have been flipped years ago. We kept running into problems and they were very cool and understanding, I’m much more generous with easy to work with customers. Keep people like that happy, the other type, it won’t break my heart if they never call me again.

edit: also I did pretty well on the overall repipe

1 - 10 of 10 Posts