Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Surfing the net googled "plumbing" here I am.
I'm an Illinois Licensed union plumber, with a CCCDI certification and 15 years, full time backflow experience. I just got laid off right before Xmas along with four others, from a major Chicago Backflow co. due to the declining economy.
I am passionate about backflow protection, and am into backflow awareness and education. I want my customers to know how the backflow device protects their drinking water, and why it's so important to be maintained every year. I have been told many times I should teach this subject.
I am convinced that once a person understands what these devices do for them, and more important what these devices can do TO them. They will maintain their device whether their municipality enforces backflow testing or not.
Of course you guys realize that a simple Irrigation system, a lawn sprinkler, is the most hazardous connection to a residential water supply. I don't know about your area, but here in Illinois you can't build a new home without including a fire sprinkler system! A-hh another cross-connection the residents won't test.

Do you guys have the same things where you are? Do your municipalities enforce Backflow testing?

Leo

[email protected]

·
Banned
383 Posts
welcome aboard. and no we dont have mandatory backflow testing and it infuriates me that we dont. i am currently lobbeying with the plumbing commission to do just that. i look forward to your input on this subject as i proceed in this matter.

·
Banned
8,808 Posts
Hi Leo welcome to PZ, yes there is many places it is required here, and has to be tested once a year.

·
Plumber Manhattan Beach
828 Posts
welcome to the PZ :thumbsup:

I often look at getting my backflow license, there are just to many guys testing for $40-$50 here. not really worth it for me. I am all about cross connection control! :thumbsup:

·
Professional Bullshioter
6,092 Posts
Welcome from the Southern end of the state brother. I too have 15 years in the trade. We currently test about 200 devices annually. I enjoy the work. My backflow # is 2761. I don't even know how many CCDI's there are in our fine state.

·
Registered
4,960 Posts
Howdy, I hope you noticed that I have built in backflow protection in my screenname:thumbup:I may be the only one:thumbsup:

·
Professional Bullshioter
6,092 Posts
Howdy, I hope you noticed that I have built in backflow protection in my screenname:thumbup:I may be the only one:thumbsup:
Don't forget your check-up. Even an air gap has to be visually inspected annually by the letter of the law. :)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Welcome to PZ ez2backflow...
I also test backflow devices, although my city, Sioux Falls, SD just implemented the program a few years ago. While not quite as passionate about them as you I understand their importance to protecting a municipalities water supply. Most the devices around here are new so I have few problems. If I do have a failed device it is usually just some object (copper shaving or something) lodge in the ring. Since backflow is your niche, how many repairs to devices do you find yourself making?

I figured backflow testing would be a recession proof niche of plumbing since testing is usually mandatory once a year in cities with programs. Too bad you lost your job, but I know 500 union plumbers in the twin cities were benced a few weeks ago too.

·
Banned
913 Posts
Welcome to PZ!

Our water department installs and tests them for cheap, therefore we do not get involved in backflow testing. In four years, we have had less than five calls.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts