Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
waterheaterzone.com
2,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Screw the slow economy. I'M SLAMMED WITH WORK! This makes the 4th day straight that I worked a 12 hour day and even had to turn some calls away as I was overbooked....I had so much work today that I had an unpemployed friend (I used to work with at another service plumbing shop) with 3.5 years plumbing experience come in and give me hand. It helped a lot, we did a crapload of work today, $1900 gross! He's unemployed and has a kid, and he's a great plumber AND I NEED HELP!:help: I decided to hire him to ride with me and get the jobs done faster. If things work out right with my new advertising this year, I'll buy another truck and put him in it. I worked with this kid for 3 years and he's an awesome salesman and very conscientious about his work. Hopefully it will work out well for the both of us.:clap:

Also I'll try to get him to sign up here on the forum.

·
Retired Moderator
6,781 Posts
Slow and steady! Do not jump in and make a decision that you may regret. Let him work with you a bit, feel him out and make sure he will be able to bring in the income to pay for that other truck. I jumped too quick once, wish I had waited!

·
waterheaterzone.com
2,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Slow and steady! Do not jump in and make a decision that you may regret. Let him work with you a bit, feel him out and make sure he will be able to bring in the income to pay for that other truck. I jumped too quick once, wish I had waited!
Oh yes, I won't be buying a truck until I am absolutely sure.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Great job service guy. I am glad to hear things are going so well for you.

·
Plumbing Contractor
975 Posts
New Plumber

I remember how that feels, Hire your first guy. I brought an Green guy at first. That was a major headache. Let him go couldn't stay a wake in the truck on the way to the jobs.

roughly a month ago I bought another Truck (used) put a guy in it. thing were going great for about a month! Now I'm scrapping by right now. I have work in the pipe just waiting for the go ahead.

I have a 4 bath custom home that I started (topped out) then the builder said he hasn't been approved for funding by the bank yet!:eek: So I pack my :censored: and left (this was 3 weeks ago) I talked to him Yesterday and still no word.

I was spose to do a sewer job next week, But my wife has to have sugery and I told the HO I will call her at the end of the week. SO I called her home# and no answer so I leave a message. No return call She called me back to day and told me she's having someone else do it.:censored::furious::furious:

Another house I was spose to plumb HO was having trouble getting teh bank to come off the money. (so now he's just going to build the garage part and put a laundry, kitchen, and 1 bath ) for they can live there and add the hous eon to it later??? (still doing the job but):cry:

I'm suppose to start an Dollar General on 10/20

I'm putting together a bid for a 10,000 Sq ft house w/seven baths, 2 full kitchens, 2 laundry room, 3 fire places, 3 furnace, 2 out side grills, 2 cook tops, 2 gas dryers, and fire pit. .(all BLK piped)

I have 2 remodels omming up for finish soon, I'm suppose to start 2 more remodel soon as the room additions are built.

My service is down right now, Mostly tire kickers.

SO what I'm trying to say is becareful! And good luck! It's nice to have help but it sucks to have to write out that extra check. Just to give you an Idea on last month. I paid $1300.00 in fuel fro 2 vehicles, paid the guy Over $4000.00 (insurance,taxes, and hrly rate)

I still have the guy but it hurts a little right now!

·
Banned
1,589 Posts
Carl, "I told ya so".

I wouldn't run out and hire a crew or buy another truck just yet, the market is drastically low, Chevy is on the brink of bankruptcy. (I'd bet money that won't happen....but)

I WILL say this...within a week I suspect it's about to start the upturn...call it a hunch.

For your welfare, I'd hold off on any longterm financial decisions until the market starts moving in an upward direction.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Try Keeping him with you as a sub contractor [ I know the irs frowns on this ] for a couple of months , then see how everything is going , but right now i would not buy a new truck , But good for you , keep up the good work , and stay busy , and make money , don't let customers dangle the carrett infront of your nose , Don't run out and give prices on every little job , i had someone yesterday want me to give a price to clean out a sewer , i told him for sewer cleaning we charge by the hour , don't know what we will run into , but he still wanted me to waste my time drive to his house , and look at a cloged sewer , I finelly told him i was to busy today to look at it

·
Banned
3,806 Posts
Carl, "I told ya so".

I wouldn't run out and hire a crew or buy another truck just yet, the market is drastically low, Chevy is on the brink of bankruptcy. (I'd bet money that won't happen....but)
GM has a ten year contract to provide vehicles to the US military, Chevy isn't going anywhere.

·
Banned
1,589 Posts
GM has a ten year contract to provide vehicles to the US military, Chevy isn't going anywhere.
You're right, but the fact that their stock is at the same price it was circa 1950 tells me now might not be a great time to make binding decisions for the next year or so.

Directly and indirectly, GMC accounts for a fraction of jobs that runs over ten percent of the workforce in this country, from line workers to salesmen at dealerships, finance, mechanics, execs...etc.

There are buffers in place, unemployment insurance, competitiors that will benefit and many more variables, but until GMC gets back on track.

In the same respect, I'm scurrying around the market researching every promising stock I can...there has probably never been a smarter time to invest than now.

·
Registered
344 Posts
I'm suppose to start an Dollar General on 10/20
Digging the sewer will take longer than plumbing the whole building if they do it like ours in this area. One bathroom, utility sink, and gas to one furnace. Takes all of 3 hours to rough one in and top it out... If you're going slow.

·
Plumbing Contractor
975 Posts
Dollar General

Double A:
Here they have a mens and womans bath room and a mop sink in the stock room at the other end of the building. There is NO Gas it all electric. :thumbup:

The 10,000 Sq Ft house I mention. they called me yesterday and want all the gas in BLK pipe. :eek: I'm going to be there for a week almost running that gas pipe.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
Screw the slow economy. I'M SLAMMED WITH WORK! This makes the 4th day straight that I worked a 12 hour day and even had to turn some calls away as I was overbooked....I had so much work today that I had an unpemployed friend (I used to work with at another service plumbing shop) with 3.5 years plumbing experience come in and give me hand. It helped a lot, we did a crapload of work today, $1900 gross! He's unemployed and has a kid, and he's a great plumber AND I NEED HELP!:help: I decided to hire him to ride with me and get the jobs done faster. If things work out right with my new advertising this year, I'll buy another truck and put him in it. I worked with this kid for 3 years and he's an awesome salesman and very conscientious about his work. Hopefully it will work out well for the both of us.:clap:

Also I'll try to get him to sign up here on the forum.
Tell him to send me an application. :thumbsup:

·
WILLPLUMB4$
584 Posts
Good luck, tuck some $ away for that rainy day. Keep us posted, maybe your seeing the first signs of the rebound.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts