Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi, living in ontario, getting into plumbing, just seems like the trade for me, and i got a question, do i need to take pre-apprenticeship before getting someone to take me as an apprentice? and what is the diff between res and commercial like why choose one over the other

thanks for any info :) looking forward to getting into it

·
Water Whisperer
3,627 Posts
hi, living in ontario, getting into plumbing, just seems like the trade for me, and i got a question, do i need to take pre-apprenticeship before getting someone to take me as an apprentice? and what is the diff between res and commercial like why choose one over the other

What did you do before this interest in plumbing? Why does it seem to be the trade for you?

Reactions: Wethead

·
Banned
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What did you do before this interest in plumbing? Why does it seem to be the trade for you?
well im currently enjoying bottom of the barrel 10-14 per hour jobs lol, currently working on a packaging line for 12/hr.. and im a fairly intelligent guy, i know i can do more, i like working for myself, open a little mini business perhaps, buy a van, stock it up.. do the plumbing thing, set my own hours and rules.. and there is always high paying work, in high demand here in canada.. and i like the 30-40/hr thing, dunno how much i would get as a beginner apprentice tho, aparently maybe 14-17/hr to start, which is pretty good, as long as i get a good "master" lol.. one that actually teaches me stuff instead of getting me to lug heavy stuff all day, which im fine with doing but i gotta be learning lots of stuff too.

and i like doing a job, taking pride in doing it right, job satisfaction is my favorite part of any job dunno.. i just need to find someone who will take me on as an apprentice :( but im fairly early in the search, i was looking into welding for a long while, but i decided on plumbing, i like how every day is different too, very little repitition usually

·
Registered
4,960 Posts
well im currently enjoying bottom of the barrel 10-14 per hour jobs lol, currently working on a packaging line for 12/hr.. and im a fairly intelligent guy, i know i can do more, i like working for myself, open a little mini business perhaps, buy a van, stock it up.. do the plumbing thing, set my own hours and rules.. and there is always high paying work, in high demand here in canada.. and i like the 30-40/hr thing, dunno how much i would get as a beginner apprentice tho, aparently maybe 14-17/hr to start, which is pretty good, as long as i get a good "master" lol.. one that actually teaches me stuff instead of getting me to lug heavy stuff all day, which im fine with doing but i gotta be learning lots of stuff too.

and i like doing a job, taking pride in doing it right, job satisfaction is my favorite part of any job dunno.. i just need to find someone who will take me on as an apprentice :( but im fairly early in the search, i was looking into welding for a long while, but i decided on plumbing, i like how every day is different too, very little repitition usually
What do you mean by "looking" into welding for a long time? What made you "decide" on plumbing? If you were learning to weld, that would have been a good start to getting into other pipe trades. Just my .02

·
Registered
57 Posts
whats a wet head?
Same question I have what is a "wet head"? Sounds like it should have something to do with plumbing, having that "wet" in there.
I don't know about Ontario, but here in LA, California I wanted this trade so bad, but nobody wanted to take a chance with Little to no experience person, so I was able to locate a couple of schools that offered plumbing, enrolled and applied myself, almost through the class the instructor gave me a phone number for a plumbing Co. to call. They hired me on the spot, that was 23 years ago, so just be willing to learn, listen and absorb as there is so much to learn from other plumbers, before too long you'll be doing things on your own, but ask if your not sure of something. There is no such thing as a stupid question and there are many ways to cause a lot of damage to property and yourself.

·
Banned
1,644 Posts
Source:

Definition Of A Wet Head

Learn the real definition of a Wet Head from the original plumbing *******.
*******media.com/definition-of-a-wet-head/ -

What is a Wet Head?

A Wet head is a person that protects the health of the nation. A Wet Head carries out their purpose by being involved in the trades such as, plumbing, heating, HVAC, pump repair and swimming pool construction and repair. A Wet Head can be a man or women, office worker taking the service calls, plumber out in the field, engineer in the boiler room, single mom changing the bathroom faucet, stock boy learning the fittings of the trade. The most important thing is that we keep on caring this message of health for years to come. That’s what being a Wet Head is all about.
whats a wet head?
Same question I have what is a "wet head"? Sounds like it should have something to do with plumbing, having that "wet" in there.
I don't know about Ontario, but here in LA, California I wanted this trade so bad, but nobody wanted to take a chance with Little to no experience person, so I was able to locate a couple of schools that offered plumbing, enrolled and applied myself, almost through the class the instructor gave me a phone number for a plumbing Co. to call. They hired me on the spot, that was 23 years ago, so just be willing to learn, listen and absorb as there is so much to learn from other plumbers, before too long you'll be doing things on your own, but ask if your not sure of something. There is no such thing as a stupid question and there are many ways to cause a lot of damage to property and yourself.

·
Registered
1,367 Posts

"Get out while you can.":laughing:

·
Registered
584 Posts
It's difficult to get your foot in the door. I tried a whole bunch of shops before finding one that would take me on with no experiance and I had to work for peanuts. Once they saw I wasn't a crackhead and could figure out how to turn a wrench I got a few decent raises pretty quickly. Nowadays a lot of companies are laying off or at least have put off hiring. I agree, stay where you are when the economy picks up again then make your move.

·
Banned
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
What do you mean by "looking" into welding for a long time? What made you "decide" on plumbing? If you were learning to weld, that would have been a good start to getting into other pipe trades. Just my .02
id rather stay focused and specialize in 1 thing, plumbing, im sure ill pickup some welding along the way to incorporate into the plumbing trade

·
Banned
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It's difficult to get your foot in the door. I tried a whole bunch of shops before finding one that would take me on with no experiance and I had to work for peanuts. Once they saw I wasn't a crackhead and could figure out how to turn a wrench I got a few decent raises pretty quickly. Nowadays a lot of companies are laying off or at least have put off hiring. I agree, stay where you are when the economy picks up again then make your move.
hmm, you in canada or usa?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts