Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I am a pastor at a small church. This past Saturday someone happened to be at church and heard a noise, thank the Lord! There was water all over the basement. We found what looks like the PEX melted. It has been there for almost ten years. Any ideas on why it might have happened or how to not have it happen again?
Thanks!
Wood Line Floor Electrical wiring Gas

Bicycle part Wood Plumbing fitting Automotive tire Rim

·
Registered
8,256 Posts
Hi, I am a pastor at a small church. This past Saturday someone happened to be at church and heard a noise, thank the Lord! There was water all over the basement. We found what looks like the PEX melted. It has been there for almost ten years. Any ideas on why it might have happened or how to not have it happen again?
Thanks!

This site is only for plumbers. That said I will take pity on you.

Assuming it didn't freeze and burst, the major red flag for me is plastic piping right up to the water heater. Most if not all codes require at least 18" of metallic piping before switching to non-metallic pipe when connecting a water heater. This short length of metal pipe will dissapate heat and limit how hot your non-metallic pipe can become.

Short answer, the pex pipe got too hot and failed.

Hire a real plumber to fix it, not the guy who installed it.

Hail Satan, Lord Of The Underworld!

·
Registered
8,256 Posts
You should also cover/insulate that piping. Pex is not rated for UV exposure and you appear to get quite a lot of sunlight in that area.

Reactions: MACPLUMB777
1 - 9 of 9 Posts