Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Pipes & pucks
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Everyone *****es & complains about unemployment being so high. This week I have spent 2+ hours on the phone with my satellite service, trying to resolve a few issues.

The first time, over 90 minutes on the phone trying to get through to the customer service representative about my receiver problems. She was absolutely convinced that I needed a new remote. I know, that's what her book tells her the problem is, but I could not get through to her that the problem was 100% NOT in the remote. I finally asked her to get me to someone in advances tech support, and I got Brian, who sounded like he lives in Philly. 3 minutes later, including the time it took to verify my account, and the problem was solved. No book, no script, just "What's your TV doing, what do you see in the setup?" and the problem was fixed in no time.

Today I spent over 30 minutes trying to get them to take off the charge for NHL Center Ice. 2 years in a row I told them to bill me over 6 months. 2 years in a row they slam me with 1 bill. 30 minutes to get "Peggy" to get the charge removed and to make sure it doesn't happen next year, all the while trying to sell me more programming. I'm a pissed off customer, don't upsell someone when they are mad. Wait until you've fixed their problem, then maybe you'll sell something.

I'm totally not trying to be a xenophobe here, but my problems could have both been resolved in under 10 minutes each...IF they CSR could understand me and communicate properly with me. Bring those jobs back to the US (or Canada, for you people up there), eliminate the communication barriers that exist in the non-native English speaking people, and it will reduce hold time, lower their 1-800 phone bill, make happier customers, and will provide jobs. It's a win-win in my book.

I would cancel the service, but I'm out of daytime cell minutes this month.

·
Super Moderator
12,474 Posts
I love it when I get someone from India on the line, NOT.:cry: You know they are trying to help but there is a communication barrier.

One time I asked the lady who had a noticeable Indian accent where she was located. Her answer was, "For security reasons we are not permitted to give out that information.".....:laughing: That's laughable.

But if you want only US workers answering the phone for customer service, then be prepared to pay alot more for that monthly cable or phone service...:whistling2: because the US worker wants $ 25.00 an hour, benefits, paid vacations, etc, etc. And there is nothing wrong with wanting that. That person in India probably is willing to work for a fraction of that. Capitalism, my friend.

·
Pipes & pucks
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There are, in my opinion, ways to work with that.

First, basic phone support people don't get $25 an hour. However, if they're trained well enough, if they can handle 3 calls in the time it takes "Peggy" to handle one, they need less people working. They pay less for the call. They get people back in the workforce.

Second, they have better control over the people working for them. Think about it from our point of view. Who works better for plumbers? Trained company employees or labor pool guys? If I need a helper, and I know I'm going to need one for a year, am I better hiring someone, training him and motivating him myself, or am I better off hoping I get a good one from a labor pool? I know what I would do.

Last, the customers are better taken care of. Happy customers BUY things from you. Happy customers REFER you. Happy customers STAY with you. We all know this as plumbers. If I piss off a customer by nailing them hard on a flapper replacement, they're not calling me to repipe their home or replace their water heater. If your customers are happy and you know you can sell them add-ons, you don't have to jack up the price on the basics a lot.

Yeah, I know. I'm over-thinking it.

·
Registered
402 Posts
I keep getting "wrong number" collection calls from a variety of companies. Apparently the person who had my phone number before I did is very bad with money...

Anyways, one of those companies is TXU energy, whom I currently do not have an account with. So I called them today to set things right. While using their automated phone service, I was asked if I wanted to open a new account 7 times before I even got to speak with a live person. Additionally, once I actually got to speak with a real person, the first words out of their mouth were "would you like to sign up with us today?". The first words out of my mouth were "may I speak with your supervisor?".

Yeah... When it takes half an hour to get a clerical errr corrected, when I don't even have an account, and they ask me to sign up 10+ times.... Real smart

Now I will most likely never use TXU ever

·
Former Moderator
9,817 Posts
I detest calling customer service reps. in foreign countries. Understanding the meaning of words and comprehending are two very different things.

If I get one that I have a hard time understanding, I ask for one who speaks better English.

As for American workers being any better, call any government office for information or clarification and see what you get.

Face it, the dumb & dumber outnumber us all. ;)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts