Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
8,808 Posts
Welcome Brain, where you from and what code do you use?

·
Banned
1,644 Posts
Hey Brain Freeze,

You nick name reminds me of when I used to go to 7-11 when I was a kid and drink the slurpees to fast :)

Welcome aboard :thumbsup:

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
looks like some of the plumbers on this forum are going to recognize me.:icon_cheesygrin:

i come from rankin inlet, nunavut, canada. i'm on the west coast of the hudson's bay about half way up. about 1500 miles north of winnipeg, manitoba. or about 300 miles north of churchill, manitoba. not quite the arctic circle, but pretty darn close. googleearth.com will give you a better idea.

i'm a maintenance plumber. i have always enjoyed this part of the trade. every call is different.

living up here creates it's own unique challenges.

that's the way i like it.:icon_cheesygrin:

being so far north, and only having recently gotten the internet has sort of left me out of the loop for far too long.

i really like problem solving and inventing. i have 4 great kids and 2 wonderful grandchildren. and of course a wonderful woman at my side.

metal work in the art form appeals to me as well as other mediums of artistic expression. i glue rocks together and write down words.:D

i'm looking forward to learning from many knowledgeable minds and experiences.

cheers

Vince:)

·
Registered
344 Posts
Hi and welcome to pz!

Just like Ron, I am wondering what code do you use in your area?
I think the code up there is make the most out of the summer... all three days of it.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Welcome Brainfreeze,A friend of mine lived up Nanavut,for 5 YEARS,working on the highways.He s got some crazy stories.Was any of your work related to government projects?

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Welcome Brainfreeze,A friend of mine lived up Nanavut,for 5 YEARS,working on the highways.He s got some crazy stories.Was any of your work related to government projects?
fortunately for me and my boss yes . the company he owns has 2 "plumbing as and when" contracts with the local gov't up here.

i am strictly maintenance. usually the local contractors here hire most of the tradesmen from the south (hint hint;)). we lack certified tradesmen for a number of reasons. but mainly it is due to the high drop out rate.

combine that with gov't education cut backs and you have what we have right know, no young guys in the trade. i'm only 43, but i ain't getting any younger, i need somebody to pass my trade too.

thankfully, somebody figured that out and we are currently getting a trade school to teach the first 2 years to theory. i suspect that they will have to eventually expand and offer the whole package.

most of the building around here are gov't owned in one way or another. the "gov't of nunavut" is the main employer. although the mining industry is starting to pick up. we got exploration camps coming out the ying-yang up here (hint hint;))

Vince

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
What do plumbers make up there? What can you spend it on? Oh, and welcome.
i make a straight $30.00/hour. no overtime for me and that's the way i like it.:yes:

i paid $35 000 in taxes one year.:furious:

if your union, you get other perks depending on the collective agreement between the employer and the employees union.

as far as what we spend it on. the older the boys the bigger the toys??:laughing: we're not that much different in that respect.

Vince

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Welcome Brain, where you from and what code do you use?
I come from rankin inlet, nunavut canada. use googleearth.com to get a better picture. when i say down south you'll understand what i mean.:laughing:

what's a code book.:laughing:

the territorial gov't is so new up here i don't think we have an official "nunavut" code book yet.

our education system is based on alberta's. that's where i got my training. edmonton to be exact.

ron, there's so many hacks and wannabe's up here that a code book only matter's to guys like us (professionals) and the boiler inspector. seriously.

i've seen some dangerous stuff.:eek:

there's no lack of work up here.

Vince

1 - 16 of 16 Posts