41 - 55 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
7,081 Posts

·
Banned
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
So why do you want to be a plumber? I'm not sure i would leave a 500k job for anything.
I wouldn’t leave my job for good. It’s not like I hate it and I can make a decent living. I’m just seeing if I can make both work out somehow. I just find plumbing to be a lot of FUN and to be challenging. I love working with my hands.

Good news, though. I’m going to shadow my family friend on one of his jobs soon. Basically just to see how it goes and if I can help out at all.

I read on another form where a plumber was saying he started as an apprentice and worked his way up until he was offered a partnership position. Is this common for plumbers working at mid to large companies to become part owners?

·
philosopher and statesmen
7,982 Posts
I wouldn’t leave my job for good. It’s not like I hate it and I can make a decent living. I’m just seeing if I can make both work out somehow. I just find plumbing to be a lot of FUN and to be challenging. I love working with my hands.

Good news, though. I’m going to shadow my family friend on one of his jobs soon. Basically just to see how it goes and if I can help out at all.

I read on another form where a plumber was saying he started as an apprentice and worked his way up until he was offered a partnership position. Is this common for plumbers working at mid to large companies to become part owners?
NOpe this rarely happens and usually if they actually DO offer you a parterneship position its because
they want to insure you as a " key man " for a million dollars then figure out a way to kill you off in an
on site accident..... dont ever fall for this.....

I have also known a few guys who thought they were gonna eventually get a piece of the pie by working
their asses off and building up a certain aspect of the business..... ie service, drain cleaning, new construction
and of course those promises usually get broken and they move on.....

I just spent the morning taking a urinal off a wall and cleaning out the whole battery of urinals and sinks
all plumbed together to a 3 inch pvc drain line...... good times.... good times you would probably would
have just loved tagging along on this smelly mess......

·
Registered
7,081 Posts
.......... Is this common for plumbers working at mid to large companies to become part owners?
Don't mind Mark, he's being cynical. If you're smart, motivated, dedicated, and loyal to the company, sure, that's normal. Most guys don't give two schits and just treat as a way to make money. Like any profession, work above and beyond those around you and you'll get promoted.

That said many plumbing companies are family affairs and there is only so high a non-family member can often go.

·
Registered
62 Posts

No, its not normal to 'walk' into a partnership. Furthermore, partnerships never (or almost never) work out long term. Every one locally I have observed has failed. The individuals did not ultimately fail, the partnership did.

·
Banned
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
NOpe this rarely happens and usually if they actually DO offer you a parterneship position its because
they want to insure you as a " key man " for a million dollars then figure out a way to kill you off in an
on site accident..... dont ever fall for this.....

I have also known a few guys who thought they were gonna eventually get a piece of the pie by working
their asses off and building up a certain aspect of the business..... ie service, drain cleaning, new construction
and of course those promises usually get broken and they move on.....

I just spent the morning taking a urinal off a wall and cleaning out the whole battery of urinals and sinks
all plumbed together to a 3 inch pvc drain line...... good times.... good times you would probably would
have just loved tagging along on this smelly mess......
Mark,

I just finished flying for a few days and was in an airport and noticed the bathrooms were being remodeled. I almost went up to the crew in my pilot uniform and all just to say hi and see what they were up to. I had a quick break and had to fly right back out so I didn’t have time. But I do get curious about the jobs going on.

·
7,982 Posts
Mark,

I just finished flying for a few days and was in an airport and noticed the bathrooms were being remodeled. I almost went up to the crew in my pilot uniform and all just to say hi and see what they were up to. I had a quick break and had to fly right back out so I didn’t have time. But I do get curious about the jobs going on.
You are attracted to crap like a moth to a flame... good luck ..

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
If you talk to plumbers in airports, it might be good to loosen your tie or turn your hat backwards if you wear one. Depends. My Dad got current in '05 just so he could fly us to Osh that year. They had plumbing there too, go figure! Rented a 182 out of AZA, flew the Fisk Arrival and we camped in the North 40.

·
Registered
Plumber
360 Posts
Mark,

Quit beating off in the bathrooms! Beat off at the bar and you will wanna be a bartender. Beat off in a truck and become a truck driver. Beat off on my ex wife and just become a broke *****

·
7,982 Posts
Quit beating off in the bathrooms! Beat off at the bar and you will wanna be a bartender. Beat off in a truck and become a truck driver. Beat off on my ex wife and just become a broke *
If he Keeps beating off and he could go blind and lose his job as a piolet...

better ease off the throttle for a while....

41 - 55 of 55 Posts