Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Banned
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

So I'll probably get banned for this post since I'm not yet a professional, but I need some advice on making a career change to a plumber, or at least a part-time plumber

I'm currently a pilot for a major airline in the US and wanted to see what's the best way to become a plumber. This is something I've thought about doing for a while, but I was hesitant to give up flying since I enjoy it for the most part. I have a family friend I grew up with who owns his own shop and I thought about going out with him on jobs and helping out.

My plan would be to still fly (if possible) while gaining the necessary hours to become licensed. I'm in the tri-state area (think NY, NJ). Is there any chance at making this work without leaving flying all together and focusing on plumbing for 5+ years?

Maybe I can find a shop that just needs help part time and I could apprentice there when I'm off from my main job. If anyone get give me some advice before I get banned, I'd appreciate it!

Thanks so much.

·
Reverend, R.S.E., Master Plumber
Nice Head, what’s in the bag?
1,829 Posts
I wouldn’t hire someone who is only going to work part time.
It will take you 5 years of full time to get your ticket, at least in Ontario it’s 10,000 hrs
800 of those hours are in class full time.

·
Registered
7,050 Posts
Hey everyone,

So I'll probably get banned for this post since I'm not yet a professional, but I need some advice on making a career change to a plumber, or at least a part-time plumber

I'm currently a pilot for a major airline in the US and wanted to see what's the best way to become a plumber. This is something I've thought about doing for a while, but I was hesitant to give up flying since I enjoy it for the most part. I have a family friend I grew up with who owns his own shop and I thought about going out with him on jobs and helping out.

My plan would be to still fly (if possible) while gaining the necessary hours to become licensed. I'm in the tri-state area (think NY, NJ). Is there any chance at making this work without leaving flying all together and focusing on plumbing for 5+ years?

Maybe I can find a shop that just needs help part time and I could apprentice there when I'm off from my main job. If anyone get give me some advice before I get banned, I'd appreciate it!

Thanks so much.
You can still view this thread after you get banned.

New York doesn't have a statewide licensing program so you'll need to contact the AHJ. No clue about New Jersey.

Why can't your buddy who is supposedly a master plumber answer your questions???

Reactions: MACPLUMB777

·
Banned
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You can still view this thread after you get banned.

New York doesn't have a statewide licensing program so you'll need to contact the AHJ. No clue about New Jersey.

Why can't your buddy who is supposedly a master plumber answer your questions???
I haven't spoken to him in a while and I didn't want to bother him unless it was something I was sure I was going to go all in on. Would you agree that it would be difficult to do both jobs at the same time, if I wanted to help and apprentice?

·
Registered
7,050 Posts
I haven't spoken to him in a while and I didn't want to bother him unless it was something I was sure I was going to go all in on. Would you agree that it would be difficult to do both jobs at the same time, if I wanted to help and apprentice?
Judging by the intensity of your trepidation you either lack the confidence or motivation to successfully transition between careers, possibly both.

I suggest you seek the help of a licensed therapist, or a bartender.

·
Banned
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Judging by the intensity of your trepidation you either lack the confidence or motivation to successfully transition between careers, possibly both.

I suggest you seek the help of a licensed therapist, or a bartender.
I think my hesitation is because it may not be worth leaving my current job to start all over as a plumbing apprentice. Perhaps if I got my required licenses and started my own company, it would be worth it. If I would work for someone else forever, it wouldn't make sense to leave my current job. I'm in my mid-20s if that would change your opinion of this btw.

I have no problem working 2 full time jobs. I would just have to find the right shop/person who would be willing to work with me.

·
1,829 Posts
What are you making now?

Google what the average plumber makes per year in your area, then decide.

As a plumber, it could take you 10-20 years(give it take) to make close to that(or more) depending on:
-who you work for,
-your skills or specialty in a plumbing field
-if you open/run your on business…

·
Registered
7,050 Posts
Either you have the mechanical inclination to be a plumber or you don't. If you do and you want to be successful you'll get there in less than 4 years.

If you've never been one to fix stuff for the fun of it and prefer to spend your down time just sipping beers than don't bother.

Find a plumber who works for themself and offer to be a helper, unpaid for a couple weeks. You'll find out real quick if it's or you.

·
1,829 Posts
Either you have the mechanical inclination to be a plumber or you don't. If you do and you want to be successful you'll get there in less than 4 years.

If you've never been one to fix stuff for the fun of it and prefer to spend your down time just sipping beers than don't bother.

Find a plumber who works for themself and offer to be a helper, unpaid for a couple weeks. You'll find out real quick if it's or you.
Agreed!

·
philosopher and statesmen
7,967 Posts
At my airline, anywhere from 120k-500k-ish in normal times.
You would have to be out of your mind to start over as a plumber if you are presently
making 120k a year....with the possibility of going up to 500k some day?? .

Unless you are some kind of retard, Your social life is unlimited where you now work....
You are probably working around a much higher class
of people ---most probably college educated , and most with brains ------
and maybe perhaps you get to socialize with a lot of hot airline ladies every day.
Maybe you just haul freight from place to place like with federal express and you are
bored with it??

Try digging a slab rough in the mud, or un-stopping a toilet with a bunch of nasty apprentice grunts
and working your way up the ladder with some company that might not be solvent in a few years
this is not a future I would pursue..

Now for therapy, I suggest just go down into your crawl space ,
set off a couple of stink bombs,
and roll around in spider webs and wet gravel and mud for a few hours
lay on your back and stare up at the rafters above you and think long and hard about this
until you kill this dream.....dead....

·
Banned
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
At my airline, anywhere from 120k-500k.
What are you making now?

Google what the average plumber makes per year in your area, then decide.

As a plumber, it could take you 10-20 years(give it take) to make close to that(or more) depending on:
-who you work for,
-your skills or specialty in a plumbing field
-if you open/run your on business…
I'm on the lower end of that range, but it's because I started recently. As I get more years in, it'll increase. I did some research on plumbers wages in NJ. I don't think I would make more unless like you said I had my own business, and that will take a while you mentioned.

·
Banned
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

I enjoy fixing and tinkering. I enjoy working with tools and all types of equipment. When I have money left over in my monthly budget, I go to Home Depot and the flea market to buy some tools so I can have them and work on things. I also have done some plumbing work on my homes.

I have even been practicing soldering copper in my garage. It's definitely fun learning all this stuff. I like the idea of shadowing an older guy who needs help to get a better idea of the lifestyle. Thank you.

·
Banned
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
You would have to be out of your mind to start over as a plumber if you are presently
making 120k a year....with the possibility of going up to 500k some day?? .
Hi Mark,

Thank you for the post. Lots of good info and I love hearing the wisdom of someone like yourself. I do enjoy my job and the people I work with. I thought about going to UPS or Federal Express since they make a little more and have a pension, but those guys fly overnight. I don't think I could last long doing that.

So like you said, I can make a pretty good living and have a good retirement plan where I am. That said, do you think it's possible to do the plumbing part time to gain experience? I would think as a helper or apprentice, but I'm not sure how many would be willing to "invest" their time in me. Maybe I can own the business or be a partner with someone who is a master plumber?

I can do a lot of the everyday jobs and repairs, but the bigger jobs like rough-ins and gas work is something I would have to watch and learn. Thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
Plumber
359 Posts
Son I dont believe you have the rectal fortitude if you are asking these kind of questions.

If you want to be a plumber then apprentice for 6 months. Watch everyone else. See how they live.

Then ask yourself what you want

·
7,967 Posts
Son I dont believe you have the rectal fortitude if you are asking these kind of questions.

If you want to be a plumber then apprentice for 6 months. Watch everyone else. See how they live.

Then ask yourself what you want

Doggod, I think you said it all with .... "see how they live"
I had guys working for me at one time that I wish I could have
made them ride in the back of the box truck instead of in the cab....
They were so dam stupid that I worried that by breathing the same air as them
for an extended period of time that their dumbness might rub off on me...😆😆.

Most could not even carry on a conversation , they just said ugggg....
but they could work a shovel and lug cast iron pretty well.

Their was a company in town that had a huge bus that would drop off plumbers
to their assigned job sites every morning--- 5 here, 6 there...4 here. The reason they had a
bus is because these morons all had too many DUIs and their old ladies
dropped them off at at dawn to the companies door step....most half sober:D

·
7,967 Posts
Hi Mark,

Thank you for the post. Lots of good info and I love hearing the wisdom of someone like yourself. I do enjoy my job and the people I work with. I thought about going to UPS or Federal Express since they make a little more and have a pension, but those guys fly overnight. I don't think I could last long doing that.

So like you said, I can make a pretty good living and have a good retirement plan where I am. That said, do you think it's possible to do the plumbing part time to gain experience? I would think as a helper or apprentice, but I'm not sure how many would be willing to "invest" their time in me. Maybe I can own the business or be a partner with someone who is a master plumber?

I can do a lot of the everyday jobs and repairs, but the bigger jobs like rough-ins and gas work is something I would have to watch and learn. Thanks for the advice.
Just hunker down and make a happy life for yourself, you got lots of
friends with some brains working around you--
maybe some good looking ladies to socialize with....
and most at your job are probably a better influence and role models to look up to..

Just watch u-tube videos if you want to learn some of the basics about plumbing...........

most plumbers dont have a pension or much of a future, that is the same with all construction trades....
most jump from job to job looking for a dollar more on the hour
and by the time they realize that they should have done something else with
their lives its waaaay too late

·
Registered
Plumber
359 Posts
Just hunker down and make a happy life for yourself, you got lots of
friends with some brains working around you--
maybe some good looking ladies to socialize with....
and most at your job are probably a better influence and role models to look up to..

Just watch u-tube videos if you want to learn some of the basics about plumbing...........

most plumbers dont have a pension or much of a future, that is the same with all construction trades....
most jump from job to job looking for a dollar more on the hour
and by the time they realize that they should have done something else with
their lives its waaaay too late
Frankly this is the most solid advice.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts