Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in the wonderful city of Las Vegas. I've been plumbing in Nevada for 12 years. Because of the constuction boom, most of my experience has been with new construction. Construction is as dead as a door nail right now. I started my own Service and Repair Plumbing Contracting business a little more than 2 years ago. I like to touch base on various topics relating to service work. I have been getting into line locating for copper under concrete slabs. I purchased a Navitrack and Transmitter from Ridgid. Does anyone have any advise on line locating regarding grounding the transmitter, best location to hook it up to the pipe, reccomended frequencies so as to not bleed into electrical or electrical grounding wire. You're input in this matter would be greatly appreciated. Also, any input on Fisher listening devices would be good to.

·
No Longer at This Address
4,710 Posts
I live in the wonderful city of Las Vegas. I've been plumbing in Nevada for 12 years. Because of the constuction boom, most of my experience has been with new construction. Construction is as dead as a door nail right now. I started my own Service and Repair Plumbing Contracting business a little more than 2 years ago. I like to touch base on various topics relating to service work. I have been getting into line locating for copper under concrete slabs. I purchased a Navitrack and Transmitter from Ridgid. Does anyone have any advise on line locating regarding grounding the transmitter, best location to hook it up to the pipe, reccomended frequencies so as to not bleed into electrical or electrical grounding wire. You're input in this matter would be greatly appreciated. Also, any input on Fisher listening devices would be good to.
I had a couple of homes in Las Vegas where the copper was over 3' below the slab. My guess is it had something to do with the plumber coming in too soon on lots they were back-filling the forms. The pipe I was looking for was in a fairly crowded area with a bunch of other copper pipes and it was a post-tension slab. The ground made all the difference in the world in pin pointing the pipe. The first one I did I jerry-rigged a 50' extension cord to extend the ground so I could attach it to the angle-stop of the line I wanted to trace. Now I carry a reel with 100' of wire which is used to extend the ground when needed.

I use a Ridgid Navitrack with transmitter and a Metrotech HL-4000.

Mark

BTW: I was tracing the hot water to the kitchen sink so I had the transmitter at the hot water heater and the ground at the angle stop.

Reactions: VEGAS PLUMBER

·
Banned
8,808 Posts
Welcome to PZ

·
www.DunbarPlumbing.com
5,478 Posts
Hey Vegas Plumber,

Start a thread about this Kitec PEX piping and tell us how that went down along with the plumbers who bought that idea,

hook line and sinker.

You'd be perfect to describe how much that affected the property owners, businesses, industry, insurance companies, families who couldn't afford the repairs.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Pex Piping

Kitec piping has created alot of work for companies that specialize at repiping houses. Vegas water has alot of minerals in it which contributes to the fittings failure. The Kitec fitting system is flawed and 10s of thousands of Las Vegas homes have been repiped because of this. Construction defect attorneys are the real winners out of all of this. I don't care much for defect attorneys because they drive up our general liability insurance. Anyway, I have installed Wirsbo/Uponor piping with plastic fittings and had no problems for the last 8 years although I've recently seen some copper to pex brass adaptors failing. The water out here is very hard on any type of metal pipe or fitting. I have used Vanguard Pex and had no problems to date, but I'm wondering about those brass fittings.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts