Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶&#
8,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is going to be a dumb question for the northern plumbers but how do you run a pan drain for a heater in the basement? Do you have to use some kind of pump? Do you just put a WAGS in? I just got curious from a pic I saw on CT. I've never put a heater in a basement before. What do you do?

·
Banned
383 Posts
yeah, our code says you have to have a floor drain within 15' of the water heater. when i do a new house i put the drain next to the furnace for the condensate and keep the w/h close by.

·
Banned
383 Posts
whenever i do a basement where the sewer comes in above the basement floor i install a sewage ejector. usually just for a basement bath and the floor drain. ive used the ones w/ a battery back up and a high water level alarm. i try to run everything else gravity. if they dont want to spring for the battery back up i insist on the alarm because of the teenage daughters living in the basement flushing white mice.

·
٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶&#
8,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I can see the HO’s face now. "sir, we will have to install a stand and pan for the new heater that will drain into a basin with a battery backup ejector pump that will tie into your drainage system for only $2500.00" I better bring in a bullet proof vest if I ever do have to replace a basement heater.

·
Banned
383 Posts
its gotta be a tough sell in florida. ive been down there often. my sister lives in ft. meyers. i couldnt imagine many basements just because of logistics. up north the entire basement gets utilized for living space so its an easier sell. all that for just a pan drain is a bit much.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts