Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Chase Plumber
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have this 15' heat tape and the end of it, where the 3 prongs are that go into the receptacle, flicker. . .Well, you can shine a flashlight on it and it quits flickering and stays on??

I'm thinking it's defective maybe?

I would read it for resistance, not continuity, but I'm not sure how many ohms they're supposed to read.

Anyone offer any info on this or had anything like this to happen?

·
Chase Plumber
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not sure 22. . .It was like 17 degrees that night that I worked on it and my hands were almost without circulation and i couldn't really tell if the 3/4" M copper was warming up or not. . . it was black, with 2 wires beside of each other. . not really sure on the material make-up.

·
Master Plumber
1,069 Posts
Not sure 22. . .It was like 17 degrees that night that I worked on it and my hands were almost without circulation and i couldn't really tell if the 3/4" M copper was warming up or not. . . it was black, with 2 wires beside of each other. . not really sure on the material make-up.
First of all, the pipe won't warm up. It just puts out enough heat to keep it from freezing.

Second of all, get rid of that trash and use a real heat trace. The kind where it's one solid, self regulating cable. No thermostat. Like this. You can buy it premade or you can buy a spool and ends and make your own. Ten times better.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts