Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

41 - 58 of 57 Posts

·
Banned
361 Posts
and how many can you connect in a row before you max out the breaker?
Only one element runs at a time no matter how many heaters you link. So the limit would be determined by the resistance of the circuit. Eventually you’d max out the 30amp circuits length

As each thermostat is thermally satisfied it switches the power to the next thermostat snd subsequent element. And so on down the line....

Electrically the heaters are acting like one big water heater. Make sense ?

It’ll never pull more amps than the elements wattage divided by the voltage applied. It’s still operating as a non-simultaneous element fired heater.

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
Only one element runs at a time no matter how many heaters you link. So the limit would be determined by the resistance of the circuit. Eventually you’d max out the 30amp circuits length

As each thermostat is thermally satisfied it switches the power to the next thermostat snd subsequent element. And so on down the line....

Electrically the heaters are acting like one big water heater. Make sense ?

It’ll never pull more amps than the elements wattage divided by the voltage applied. It’s still operating as a non-simultaneous element fired heater.
no sense at all...why not wire all the heaters to run and make a parallel manifold to draw from them if you have that heavier of load for hot water...

·
Banned
361 Posts
no sense at all...why not wire all the heaters to run and make a parallel manifold to draw from them if you have that heavier of load for hot water...
You’re talking apples and I’m talking oranges.

Many things can be done, I’m just discussing a way to have a lot of standby water when you only have one 30 amp circuit. Just a discussion about how it CAN be done, not one about the best way.

·
Banned
361 Posts
You’re talking apples and I’m talking oranges.

Many things can be done, I’m just discussing a way to have a lot of standby water when you only have one 30 amp circuit. Just a discussion about how it CAN be done, not one about the best way.

·
Registered
5,487 Posts
Assuming every other aspect of this is approved by code your limiting factor is going to be the fact that 10ga wire is rated to 30amps ONLY for the first 100'. Unless you're going to run 8ga, which would be fantastic to work with....

I agree you're right from an electrical standpoint but let's face it, we must think of code too. When you're daisy chaining 10 water heaters someone is going to ask if it's considered "safe" by the NEC.

Reactions: GAN and RichardBull

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
I wouldn’t do it for a customer but I’ll do as I please at my house. There’s nothing unsafe about it.
call your insurance company and ask if it burns will they pay the claim....little things like this , insurance companies love to NOT pay a claim if they can find anything to blame the home owner for..

·
Banned
361 Posts
call your insurance company and ask if it burns will they pay the claim....little things like this , insurance companies love to NOT pay a claim if they can find anything to blame the home owner for..
My insurance company will pay unless I intentionally set the fire. Yes, I’ve asked about electrical work, burning trash in my yard, It’s all covered.

·
Banned
361 Posts
Everything's covered....until you make a claim.
I suppose you’re right. I’ve never had to make a claim, personal or business. I guess that’s a testament to the quality of work and materials I choose along with being taught wrong from right, with a dash of luck. ✌👍

·
Banned
361 Posts
I think my idea is safer than an electric space heater from China bought on Amazon.
🤪🤪🤪. Or those smelly oil burners that plug into an outlet. How about those lithium ion batteries in kids toys ?
Friend of mine almost had his house burnt down by an old battery thrown into a toy box. Came into the room with the toy chest on fire 🔥 ran out with it dripping plastic 🔥🔥🔥🔥

·
Registered
5,487 Posts
I think my idea is safer than an electric space heater from China bought on Amazon.
🤪🤪🤪. Or those smelly oil burners that plug into an outlet. How about those lithium ion batteries in kids toys ?
Friend of mine almost had his house burnt down by an old battery thrown into a toy box. Came into the room with the toy chest on fire 🔥 ran out with it dripping plastic 🔥🔥🔥🔥
Safety of your product doesn't matter when you sell your product in another country with no fear of extradition.

You think the company that makes those toys will be prosecuted? Even domestic manufacturers will just declare bankruptcy, dissolve, an reform as another llc.

Reactions: RichardBull

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
I suppose you’re right. I’ve never had to make a claim, personal or business. I guess that’s a testament to the quality of work and materials I choose along with being taught wrong from right, with a dash of luck. ✌👍
You must be the luckiest plumber in the country. I buy quality as well, but I've dealt with defective product a number of times. In fact, most of my hidden defects over the years have been due to product and not installation.

·
Banned
361 Posts
You must be the luckiest plumber in the country. I buy quality as well, but I've dealt with defective product a number of times. In fact, most of my hidden defects over the years have been due to product and not installation.
I’ve had defective products but it’s never caused damage enough to make a claim.

41 - 58 of 57 Posts