Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

21 - 40 of 57 Posts

·
philosopher and statesmen
7,378 Posts
I have another question relating to electric water heaters in general..
Can the shut off be set up so the unit can be operated remotely, by a phone app or other means? Since this is a vacation home, it is often vacant and a remote would come in handy.

Why not just unplug the thing when you are gone and plug it in when you show up again??
Just forget all the special wifi things that will eventually go wrong

I guess you want it to cook you dinner too??
?:LOL:

·
Registered
4,752 Posts
Why not just unplug the thing when you are gone and plug it in when you show up again??
Just forget all the special wifi things that will eventually go wrong

He's talking about a hardwired 220v apppliance.

As for the wifi control failing, you could just as easily have your electrician wire in a second disconnect that bypasses the wifi controlled contactor.

The benefit is turning the heater on an hour before you arrive so you can shower immediately.

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #23

As for the wifi control failing, you could just as easily have your electrician wire in a second disconnect that bypasses the wifi controlled contactor.

The benefit is turning the heater on an hour before you arrive so you can shower immediately.
Exactly. Also, having a remote can overcome forgetfulness on the way out the door.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Personally I’d just flip the breaker on the way out the door. That’s keeping it simple.

that’s said if I wanted wifi control I’d get the Rheem tank thank has wifi and leak detection.

·
Registered
31 Posts
IMPORTANT: The anode protecting the tank requires power to the unit to operate. Do not shut off power to the unit for an extended period of time. If power must be turned off, drain the tank completely to minimize corrosion.

·
Registered
4,752 Posts
IMPORTANT: The anode protecting the tank requires power to the unit to operate. Do not shut off power to the unit for an extended period of time. If power must be turned off, drain the tank completely to minimize corrosion.
The phuck are you talking about? I know they have made powered anodes, but the vast majority use magnesium/aluminum anode rods that DO NOT require power.

Electrically powered anodes died in the 90's along with day glo and faucets that lift and spin.

·
J. McCabe Plumbing Inc.
409 Posts
I haven't put one in yet, but a number of towns in my area have outlawed gas in new homes, so it's gonna happen sooner or later.
It so happens I have a vacation home which currently has a decade plus electric heater where gas is not an option due to structural and temperature concerns.
Therefor, I plan on installing one and kick the tires myself.
Anyone have experience with these units that you'd like to share?

·
J. McCabe Plumbing Inc.
409 Posts
I haven't put one in yet, but a number of towns in my area have outlawed gas in new homes, so it's gonna happen sooner or later.
It so happens I have a vacation home which currently has a decade plus electric heater where gas is not an option due to structural and temperature concerns.
Therefor, I plan on installing one and kick the tires myself.
Anyone have experience with these units that you'd like to share?
Scott, we've installed 6 of these recently and get asked to quote them regularly. They work real well. If you have a 40-50 gallon gas heater now, you need to consider the 65 gallon at a minimum. Remember, that because there is no gas, the recovery is low, even when the full electric option is on and the added storage will be necessary.
All of the installations we did were in garages and the "cooling" effect from the heat pump, cools the garage, so it makes a great place for storing your wine.

·
Registered
9,559 Posts
why dont you post a link to where that info came from......because it makes no sense..

·
7,378 Posts

I thought that this was supposed to be a cabin out in the woods,,,??,,
so why not install a bidet too so they can have
their asses washed clean after the long drive too..... hook that up to wi-fi so the water is all
warm and poofey for their buttholes.....

Those wi-fi things are not very reliable and are more trouble than they are worth....
just turn off the breaker when you leave and turn it on again when you show up.....

Unless you are a spoiled Democrat it should not be that much of an inconvenience
to wait 20 minutes for it to warm up.....

·
Registered
4,752 Posts
it is a powered anode , from aosmith service handbook
Yeah, no one uses those, at least no one in my area does anymore and I bet you no one on this forum uses them either.

We already have a thread about galvanic corrosion and anodes and all that jazz, you should check it out.

·
7,378 Posts
apparently aosmith uses them on their hybrid water heaters.

Thank you for the information, I never knew a.o.smith actually had powered anode systems
built into their more expensive hybred power vented units......
probably not a bad idea considering what you have to
pay for one of those things...... But Smith is still junk in my opinion

·
Registered
211 Posts
Speaking of ekectric water heaters anyone ever use one 30amp circuit to run a few water heaters ?

You just install a upper thermostat where the lower thermostat should be the go to the next heater with the power.....theoretically you could install as many as you wanted until you maxed the length of the circuit out.

·
Registered
9,559 Posts
apparently aosmith uses them on their hybrid water heaters.
interesting..something more to go wrong...must be a reason its not used in electric water heaters or in other heaters if it was so good...???

Checking the Powered Anode for Proper Operation:When dissimilar metals are in contact with water, a galvanic cell will likely result and corrosion of the metal components will occur. If left unchecked, corrosion will weaken the wall of a water heater tank which will eventually leak. Passive anodes are typically used to counteract this corrosion and extend tank life. Passive anodes erode over time and become less effective until they stop working all together, another type of protective device is a powered anode. A powered anode is an active device that counteracts galvanic corrosion in the water heater tank. Unlike a standard depleting anode, a powered anode does not lose effectiveness over time. The powered anode circuit is made up of an electronic control, a titanium anode rod, and the water heater tank. The electronic control monitors conditions in the tank and produces a voltage that will prevent galvanic corrosion from occurring. The titanium anode rod consists of two functional parts: A steel body which threads into the tank providing mechanical and electrical connection to the tank and a titanium rod that is electrically insulated from the body. The voltage produced by the powered anode circuit is delivered to the titanium anode rod by a red wire connected to the tab that connects to the anode rod. Current fl ows from the titanium anode rod, through the water and to the grounded tank wall. The powered anode circuitry will maintain the minimum voltage required to protect the tank steel.Fault detection is built into the powered anode software. If a fault is detected, an error message will be displayed on the User Interface Module (UIM): “Powered Anode Fault”. By checking the fault code history, see “Accessing the Maintenance Display” (p.21), a specifi c fault code can be read to aid in isolating the cause. Refer to the “Fault Code Troubleshooting Guide” (p39-44) for the list of powered anode fault messages, what the messages indicate, possible causes, and corrective actions.IMPORTANT: The anode protecting the tank requires power to the unit to operate. Do not shut off power to the unit for an extended period of time. If power must be turned off, drain the tank completely to minimize corrosion.

·
Registered
9,559 Posts
Speaking of ekectric water heaters anyone ever use one 30amp circuit to run a few water heaters ?

You just install a upper thermostat where the lower thermostat should be the go to the next heater with the power.....theoretically you could install as many as you wanted until you maxed the length of the circuit out.
once you alter a factory unit your liable for all that comes your way....show a schematic of the wiring...

21 - 40 of 57 Posts