Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Retired Moderator
6,781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was installing some plumbing at a house and was using some teflon tape. The HO freaked and said that it causes health problems. Made me remove it and use pipe dope. I never heard of this, have you?

·
J. McCabe Plumbing Inc.
409 Posts
Teflon offgases toxic particulates at 464°F. At 680°F Teflon pans release at least six toxic gases, including two carcinogens, two global pollutants, and MFA, a chemical lethal to humans at low doses. At temperatures that DuPont scientists claim are reached on stovetop drip pans (1000°F), non-stick coatings break down to a chemical warfare agent known as PFIB, and a chemical analog of the WWII nerve gas phosgene.

·
Registered
378 Posts
99% of the things on this earth can kill you under the right circumstances.I'm thinking there are slightly bigger things to worry about,but one has to do what it takes for them to sleep at night.

·
J. McCabe Plumbing Inc.
409 Posts
Seriously guys, I'm sure your joking, but if any of you were working for me I'd insist you read the MSDS on any probuct that might put you at further risk.

Sometimes we overlook and act complacent about the things we use every day. Protect yourself and read this stuff, even if you do it olny once.

The first time you get over exposed, you'll wish you had.

·
Master Plumber
1,069 Posts
Seriously guys, I'm sure your joking, but if any of you were working for me I'd insist you read the MSDS on any probuct that might put you at further risk.

Sometimes we overlook and act complacent about the things we use every day. Protect yourself and read this stuff, even if you do it olny once.

The first time you get over exposed, you'll wish you had.
No argument there.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts