Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had a sump pump in the low spot of my driveway for years, and it needs to be replaced. It was hard-wired to go off on it’s own and it was amazing when it worked. However, I’m going to tackle the replacement myself. My only concern though is it actually safe to have it wired (hot & neutral wires that are connected properly with heavy waterproof, silicone-filled electrical nuts, and then having those nuts secrurely taped and concealed with black electrical tape). Plus the electrical line is housed within an electrical / PVC type of conduit which is securely placed 6 inches or so underground in a designated trench that was nicely covered with concrete that leads to an exterior junction box on the outside of my garage.

Any thoughts, advice or tips would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

·
Super Moderator
11,280 Posts
Call a plumber? Please abide by forum rules.

·
Registered
4,207 Posts
I have had a sump pump in the low spot of my driveway for years, and it needs to be replaced. It was hard-wired to go off on it’s own and it was amazing when it worked. However, I’m going to tackle the replacement myself. My only concern though is it actually safe to have it wired (hot & neutral wires that are connected properly with heavy waterproof, silicone-filled electrical nuts, and then having those nuts secrurely taped and concealed with black electrical tape). Plus the electrical line is housed within an electrical / PVC type of conduit which is securely placed 6 inches or so underground in a designated trench that was nicely covered with concrete that leads to an exterior junction box on the outside of my garage.

So you want us to help you avoid hiring one of us? Why would we do that? Get the eff out of here.

·
Registered
Lift Station Whisperer
426 Posts

There are multiple codes involved in pump installation, both plumbing and electrical, as well as many hazards that you may not have thought of. Any inspector around here would red tag based off your described electrical connection alone.

This is a job best left to a professional.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts