Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I don't usually like to profile customers but there is definitely a pattern, at least where I live. I was looking at a bathroom remodel, and this lady just didn't want to accept the idea that I wouldn't run waterlines on an outside wall. She argued with me for about 10 minutes on the matter. Asian people tend to be very pushy and stubborn. In any case, she finally agreed with me...except when I was ready to leave, she was back onto running them on the outside wall. Needless to say, I left and never returned.

Not just her though. I was installing a power vented water heater for a customer who lives in a 250k house. Know this because of the development and strict requirements to even have a home built there. In any case. The lady was giving me the hardest time about the price. My company only charges 1.2k for the heater, low I know. Anyways....if this were just someone like me or an average income home, they pay with absolutely no trouble.

I don't understand, why are the rich people always trying to haggle and refuse to pay the bill, yet someone who lives modestly just pays up. One of those weeks. Ungh

·
Super Moderator
7,234 Posts
Neighbor across the street from me had an electrical fire three years ago. She fired the first resto company and hired a new one my old boss did plumbing for. She wanted copper drainage installed instead of PVC to keep the house "original" along with copper water lines and no pex. Apparently she didn't like the new price. She's a real PITA to deal with.

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Okay, I don't usually like to profile customers but there is definitely a pattern, at least where I live. I was looking at a bathroom remodel, and this lady just didn't want to accept the idea that I wouldn't run waterlines on an outside wall. She argued with me for about 10 minutes on the matter. Asian people tend to be very pushy and stubborn. In any case, she finally agreed with me...except when I was ready to leave, she was back onto running them on the outside wall. Needless to say, I left and never returned.

Not just her though. I was installing a power vented water heater for a customer who lives in a 250k house. Know this because of the development and strict requirements to even have a home built there. In any case. The lady was giving me the hardest time about the price. My company only charges 1.2k for the heater, low I know. Anyways....if this were just someone like me or an average income home, they pay with absolutely no trouble.

I don't understand, why are the rich people always trying to haggle and refuse to pay the bill, yet someone who lives modestly just pays up. One of those weeks. Ungh
Is 250k an expensive house in PA? Just wondering regional home prices.

·
Super Moderator
7,234 Posts
Can be here in MI. I almost bought this painfully small duplex in IB on a large lot with two huge palm trees in IB CA, went for $88k in '00. Three years later it sold as was for $750k. Out here in my town the same POS minus the palms of course would go for ~$45k in today's market.

My Mom's house in IB is now worth $750k, here, $125k at best.

Location.......

·
Super Moderator
7,234 Posts
Bought my house in Lansing in '05 for just under $60k, gave it back to HSBC in '13, (long story, just got a settlement from the attorney general because of them) and bought an old livable, but fixer-upper in a great town with awesome schools for less than $40k.

·
philosopher and statesmen
7,256 Posts
Oorgnid . I don't understand said:
That is basically how they probably got rich is to jew down and haggle with everyone who steps in their door...... eventually you either give in
or get out of the situation........

Usually Karma balances the scales back out to even.....

I just fired a customer who wanted an itemized list from me for a 550 dollar job . My time went from 8.30 to 12.30 at the place. I told him to let me know what was "fair" and I would re-imburse him but he would have to find someone else to do the next phase of the job because I could not afford to work for him.... PLEASE Call BEN

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Bought my house in Lansing in '05 for just under $60k, gave it back to HSBC in '13, (long story, just got a settlement from the attorney general because of them) and bought an old livable, but fixer-upper in a great town with awesome schools for less than $40k.
Definitely regional, my house was built in 1963, 1500 square feet, 6000 square feet lot. I bought it in 2003 for 420k, Zillow estimate is 655k now.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

250k can get you a mansion in some parts of PA.

·
Super Moderator
2,069 Posts
Agreed not a good place for water lines in an exterior wall. You can do it here in Illinois, you just have to insulate the lines in some manner, besides fiberglass wall cavity insulation. Charge them more and go for it with a Ryder warning them of the possible damage. Unless you live to far North.

Average home prices around here lower $200,000.00 to $300,000.00 (2,200 to 2,500 sq ft.). A few approaching a million and even fewer above that.

·
Registered
9,003 Posts
Doing a half mil house addition project presently, won't budget a 500 dollars hot water return line from the furest bathroom with pos positemp faucet.. but want 1800 dollars title work in her pantry.

Sent from my SM-G386T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Had the same thing while working in vancouver. The ritzy neighbourhoods were always trying to haggle or complain come bill time, so we would never start until we had a signed contract. I guess some rich people get that way by being stingey. Leaves a real sour taste on a job

·
philosopher and statesmen
7,256 Posts
Had the same thing while working in vancouver. The ritzy neighbourhoods were always trying to haggle or complain come bill time, so we would never start until we had a signed contract. I guess some rich people get that way by being stingey. Leaves a real sour taste on a job

I stopped working for kitchen cabinet companies and people who re-do their kitchens.. Nothing pisses me off more than someone who just spend 50k for all granite kitchen tops and new accessories ....,,,,

BUT they whine, cry , and stamp their feet like babies when you tell them its gonna cost them a whole $550 to hook up the extra special $800 kitchen faucet from Europe, and the $ 2000 Lg SS dishwasher, and whatever else...

and maybe I will have to lower the drain in the wall to make it all work right cause the new $500 Elkay Undermount sink is too low now..... that will be extra too... soooo sorry...its my fault...

and of course they want it done on late Friday afternoon--evening as the sun is going down......:thumbup::thumbup::yes:.

·
Super Moderator
7,234 Posts
I had a good one... retired from GM management, bought a $160k house, nice guy, wanted to do it right the first time. OK, cool I respect that. Well getting it done right meant final decision on where he wanted each fixture happened not after the first rough but the fourth. All said and done, his whole house remodel cost over $750k. Paid his bill and all extras no problem. He ended up cashing in all his 401k's and going back to work. Of course having $30k in crystal chandeliers.

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
I had a good one... retired from GM management, bought a $160k house, nice guy, wanted to do it right the first time. OK, cool I respect that. Well getting it done right meant final decision on where he wanted each fixture happened not after the first rough but the fourth. All said and done, his whole house remodel cost over $750k. Paid his bill and all extras no problem. He ended up cashing in all his 401k's and going back to work. Of course having $30k in crystal chandeliers.
Typical jackass::laughing:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts