Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
WILLPLUMB4$
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You guys should check out www.harborfreight.com they are a chineese tool carrying store. They have a couple of branches locally here and around the USA, but man they are cheap. I bought a set of brass punches there for like .99 cents. I'm thinking of going back and buying all of them I think I can make some money on scrap. You definetly have to watch what your buying, and I nor any one I know has had much successe with there power tools, but for hand tools you can't beet em'. they do carry factory seconds of alot of name brand stuff, and there warrenties are really good.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
HARBOR FREIGHT J-U-N-K would be a better name. I take pride in my tools, their stuff is for super-cheap harry homeowner, not for pros.
Carl do not disclaim the completely. I do agree I spend a lot of money on tools as well. But it is worth rummaging through some of the aisles they are some things you can do well with. I am not saying cordless or plumbing tools but we have bought a couple of select things that have et to die and keep going everyday for us.

·
Master Plumber
1,069 Posts
I hate myself for even telling this story.

Once upon a time, while traveling out of state, I was in HF with my dad. We had been wanting to pick up one of those Makita 7.2 volt cordless drills when we could afford it. It would be perfect for strapping up pipe in crawl spaces, etc. (We couldn't afford it because he worked for chump change in a dirt poor area. He was a master craftsman but a poor businessman.)

Well he saw a black Chicago Electric knock off of the Makita. Against my protests he bought it but promised to replace it with the Makita when it quit on us.

This is the part that pains me deeply. It lasted over 10 years of semi-regular use. I have no idea how or why a battery powered tool could last that long.

Please forgive me. I will not speak positive of Chicago Electric crap again.

·
WILLPLUMB4$
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My truck is full of all the name brand toys, But I did get a new lead hammer there for like $3.00, my Eastwing framing hammer also bought there was like $10, and 6 pair of leather gloves for for $5. Money saved is money earned. I do not buy there cutting, grinding or power tools, blades or bits. You do need to use your head when your shopping therre or any where.

·
Registered
584 Posts
With tools you usually get what you pay for. I always look for "Made In USA", most of the time that means quality. On the rare occassion it doesn't I'd still rather give an American $5.50 then some sweat shop $5.

·
Muck me?
700 Posts
I needed a 13mm racheting combination wrench and didnt want to by a $75 set. The $6 tool worked fine for the 10 mins in needed it

·
Banned
8,808 Posts
Hi muck,

Give a intro so we know something about you, welcome to PZ

·
Registered
584 Posts
I needed a 13mm racheting combination wrench and didnt want to by a $75 set. The $6 tool worked fine for the 10 mins in needed it
When I worked as a mechanic I learned never to buy cheap hand tools. Saving $10 on a wrench isn't worth the broke knuckles when it breaks.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Chineese Rotors

my boss was in china looking to import plumbing material,fixtures,he sent back 3 mini rotors.he conned a plumber to try it out,it came back in pieces.

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
When I worked as a mechanic I learned never to buy cheap hand tools. Saving $10 on a wrench isn't worth the broke knuckles when it breaks.

aside from being a bit of a tool snob, this is my attitude also. what you saved on that chinese or indian pipe wrench won't even pay your deductible (if you have insurance) after it breaks or slips and you smash yourself up. good tools are safe tools and good tools cost money.

paul

·
Registered
112 Posts
you guys are only hurting yourselves for not buying some tools there...

Look at the price of their manual knockout set compared to other sets like a greenlee... just one example. There are many, many tools a service plumber can use from there. I could list of 50 tools you would be foolish to buy anywhere else.

Same goes for automotive tools. Take a ball joint press kit. About $40 there where everywhere else I looked it was $200 or more...

If you wander the aisles, you will see plenty of tools of "good enough" quality for great prices.

harbor Freight has come along way in the last ten years when it comes to their quality. They are gonna need another ten years to rebuild their reputation. They still need to improve in a couple departments, like drill bits, but if you count them out; you are just prolonging your retirement :)

·
waterheaterzone.com
2,043 Posts
you guys are only hurting yourselves for not buying some tools there...

Look at the price of their manual knockout set compared to other sets like a greenlee... just one example. There are many, many tools a service plumber can use from there. I could list of 50 tools you would be foolish to buy anywhere else.

Same goes for automotive tools. Take a ball joint press kit. About $40 there where everywhere else I looked it was $200 or more...

If you wander the aisles, you will see plenty of tools of "good enough" quality for great prices.

harbor Freight has come along way in the last ten years when it comes to their quality. They are gonna need another ten years to rebuild their reputation. They still need to improve in a couple departments, like drill bits, but if you count them out; you are just prolonging your retirement :)
I use high-quality tools, that last the long haul of heavy-duty use. If you want to buy cheap junk, be my guest. Its totally fine if it works for you. It doesn't work me, call me a snob if you like...but thats just how I roll.:tank:

·
Registered
112 Posts
Its about money to me. That is why I go to work. If there is a simple way for me to increase my earning potential, I'll do it. I cary around $5000 in tools on my van. Some harbor freight, some craftsman, some home depot, etc... I'd be willing to bet I could tackle any job you could as efficiently as you but at a lower cost...

Not being combative, Service Guy; just pointing out some logic... If it works just as well, why not save money? Afterall, the goal for most of us is to make the most money we can... Otherwise I would not get up at 6:30 every morning :)

I know what to look for. I have been buying mechanic and wood working tools for the last 20 years. It does not take a genius to see that Harbor Freight has many tools a plumber can use that will last longer than we will be alive... Its just simple math and common sense...

BTW - if it does not work for you; I'd say it does not work mentally. But does work physically... Wrap your head around that and justify retirement being put off a little longer so you can read a name while you sweat ;)

Again - common sense here and there is no single source or name for a plumbers tool box. Harbor freight is every bit as relevant to a plumber as seekonk is...

Tip for the day - work smart, not hard!

·
Muck me?
700 Posts
I was swaping transfer cases in my truck and there was one bolt the i just fought with. it was on top of the tranny and a ratchet wouldnt fit and an open end just didnt have any room to move. Plus the whole set didnt come with a 13mm wrech. it was strange it went 12mm to 14mm they just skipped out on the 13mm. I dont like cheepo tools bt this one thing I ever bought at hf. Ive walked around the store a couple times but never see anything that iterestes me.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Gotta admit having tried lots of their tools. We put the $49.00 1 1/8 hammerdrill with the $22.00 masonry bit set on all our trucks. That worked out, so we bought 2 power threaders for $79.00 each. Those lasted just a couple uses. The switch broke on one and something went in the wiring of the other. They sucked.
The pipe wrench's, basin wrenchs, augers, tubing cutters and similar all look pretty crappy so i never picked any up. Some of our guys used them. Compared to rigid...well... there's no comparison.
The one purchase that stands out in my mind as my favorite is an automotive 3/4 socket/ratchet set that goes all the way up to 55mm. I think i got the whole set for $29.00 . If it was "snap on" it would have been $750.00 probably. Maybe more.

I always wonder...how do they ship this crap here at these prices, let alone pay for the product? Poor rascals making it must pay to work.

The one thing i always purchase at HF is the nitrile disposable gloves. Cheaper than anywhere else and decent quality.

Great niche market they fill. Glad to have one nearby..J.R.

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
Its about money to me. That is why I go to work. If there is a simple way for me to increase my earning potential, I'll do it. I cary around $5000 in tools on my van. Some harbor freight, some craftsman, some home depot, etc... I'd be willing to bet I could tackle any job you could as efficiently as you but at a lower cost...

Not being combative, Service Guy; just pointing out some logic... If it works just as well, why not save money? Afterall, the goal for most of us is to make the most money we can... Otherwise I would not get up at 6:30 every morning :)

I know what to look for. I have been buying mechanic and wood working tools for the last 20 years. It does not take a genius to see that Harbor Freight has many tools a plumber can use that will last longer than we will be alive... Its just simple math and common sense...

BTW - if it does not work for you; I'd say it does not work mentally. But does work physically... Wrap your head around that and justify retirement being put off a little longer so you can read a name while you sweat ;)

Again - common sense here and there is no single source or name for a plumbers tool box. Harbor freight is every bit as relevant to a plumber as seekonk is...

Tip for the day - work smart, not hard!
6:30?? hOW CAN YOU SLEEP SO LATE?:laughing:

·
Registered
50 Posts
It's a bad craftsman that blames his tools

Personally I only purchase quality, too many times while I was starting out I had those cheap tools fail me, leaving me dangling by my main appoendage and a case of sore knuckles.

Harbor frieght does have some things worth purchasing, however none of them are for direct use as a tool, like an inspection mirror for $1.99.

I buy their tie downs for the trucks because the guys chew thru em like a fat lady eats cake, and looses more than i want to know.

But to be really honest, there is no substitute for quality tools ! :no:

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
I always wonder...how do they ship this crap here at these prices, let alone pay for the product? Poor rascals making it must pay to work.

this brings up another very valid reason not to buy from them. it's got nothing to do with the tools but with the politics and economics surrounding them. i'm sure you don't want to read a socio-political diatribe but think about this. some of the stuff they sell (english wheels for example) are sold cheaper than the steel costs here in the u.s. what does that say about their labor force? i'll pay a few bucks (or a hundred bucks, depending on the tool) more if it comes from the u.s. they're the walmart of tools, only selling pic 'n save tools.

paul

1 - 20 of 36 Posts