Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Master Plumber
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I mentioned in another thread, I am changing careers for now. It's going hard to sort my stuff out. Plumbing isn't just a career. It's me. It's who I am. But it's not all that I am. And now, because of health reasons it's time to move on.

Y'all can make fun of me and bash me if you wish, but I have shed a few tears over walking away from plumbing. I have pictures of me playing in my dad's plumbing van when I was 2 years old. I grew up thinking nylon cone washer from p-traps was a normal toy.

I took plumbing seriously. I can hardly fathom not being a plumber. I am almost thinking it's a mindset, not a job. Am I just being crazy?

Am hanging on to the basic tools for now. Like my Hole Hawg, bits, and stuff like that. Enough that I can do any repairs that doesn't require highly specialized tools or that I can go plumb a house with if I need to. Everything else goes.

Anyways, I wish some of you guys lived close to come pick over my inventory and crap. Am gonna sell it for pennis on the dollar so wish it was you guys rather than some random guy at the local auction house. But

Anyone have any ideas how to get rid of it? Lots of it is a bit shelf worn and stuff. I don't have that crazy much stuff. So if anyone has any ideas let me know. I don't have much time to deal with it anymore.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Sorry to hear you have to hang it up. I believe things happen for a reason. When one door closes, the exciting part is finding out what the next door to open will be. Lots of prayer and thoughts for your 22.

·
Retired Moderator
6,781 Posts
22, I too had to stop working for myself due to the economy. Bills keep coming in. I work full time as a plumber/carpenter. I had a man come to my house and wanted to buy all my aluminum 24' walk boards, pump jacks, break machines, welders and all kinds of stuff. I told him NO. I spent a lifetime collecting everything. I refuse to depart with any of it. Me and my tools have seen some good times and some bad times. They bring me fond memories. Plus I use a lot of them with this guy I work for now. I save him a bundle in rental fees and get some pretty hefty bonus!Oh yes, I still do plumbing, just not as much. My boss man even changed his state contractors license to add plumbing. I still have all my state and local licenses too. Its my life. I worked for it. I will keep it no matter what.

Hang in there, its not the end of the world. A real man does what he needs to do to survive, losers quit.

And bashing? There will be none of that 22

·
Always Something
1,369 Posts
Sorry to hear about that man....I'm sure if you put together some kind of online picture thing of the stuff you want to sell...you can move some of it for a better price than an auction. I'm always looking for more power tools! Good luck with what ever you get into....I hope you stick around and offer your experience and knowledge. Blue skys bud...

·
Banned
8,808 Posts
Hay 22,

Don't be a stranger after you move on, your part of this group and we would very much like for you to stay and chat with us.

Even if you halt doing all plumbing, does not mean you don't know how it's done, you will be welcome here as long as you like.

I wish you the best of luck on your new career.

·
Banned
1,644 Posts
Hey [email protected]!

Don't feel bad, there are plenty of ways to still make money with plumbing AND not actually plumbing :)

Hell, that's what I do now, I used to be out in the trenches, but then I had 6 kids and the $600 paycheck wasn't doing it anymore so I had to re-invent myself

I would be interested in talking with you if you are into writing :)

But either way , no worries its all going to work out

·
Banned
3,806 Posts
Hey [email protected]!

Don't feel bad, there are plenty of ways to still make money with plumbing AND not actually plumbing :)

Hell, that's what I do now, I used to be out in the trenches, but then I had 6 kids and the $600 paycheck wasn't doing it anymore so I had to re-invent myself

I would be interested in talking with you if you are into writing :)

But either way , no worries its all going to work out
Writing what?

·
Banned
913 Posts
Good luck with your career change. I wish you all the best life has to offer!

:cry: You will be missed. Perhaps the door that opens for you will be related to plumbing.

Cat

·
The Redeemed
114 Posts
Good luck in the future, it's true that you are so much more than just a plumber, all of us are and can never be labeled as just a plumber we are men with hearts and dreams, I wish you all the best brother God bless :)

·
Registered
6,312 Posts
I had to get out of active plumbing a few years ago. The knee's just couldn't take it anymore. Found a job teaching plumbing and HVAC at the high school tech ctr. It has to be the most rewarding job I've ever done. Every day there's something new to teach and learn and I get to stay current with my buddies in the trade too. Best of both worlds.

·
Banned
1,644 Posts
I had to get out of active plumbing a few years ago. The knee's just couldn't take it anymore. Found a job teaching plumbing and HVAC at the high school tech ctr. It has to be the most rewarding job I've ever done. Every day there's something new to teach and learn and I get to stay current with my buddies in the trade too. Best of both worlds.

That's cool,. see yea I agree teaching plumbing is just as and maybe even more important then actually plumbing , I feel exactly the same way.

I don't plumb much in the field anymore either , I mostly write and review stuff now. Once and a while I do some plumbing for buddies companies :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts