Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm just curious what your opinion is as far as what is the best VALUE in a rotary hammer drill with SDS chuck. Is hilti worth the added cost? What about Bosch & Hitachi? Others?

The company I work for uses Bosch Bull Dogs for 1/4"-3/4" hole drilling for various inserts, etc. I'm thinking I'd like to at some point get my own hammer drill and if I do I'd like one with a chipping function for light duty chipping applications. The Bosch's are good hammer drills (the ones we use at work) but don't have the chipping functions although I know the next drill up from the ones we use do (the 7/8" models). Hitachi has me curious. I've used a Hitachi demo hammer recently and it hit hard and it was pretty well used at the time I used it (helped a buddy chip up his basement floor to replace his drainage piping).

Hitachi rated fairly well in this article: http://www.toolsofthetrade.net/industry-news.asp?sectionID=1490&articleID=501400

Thoughts/opinions?

·
Always Something
1,369 Posts
I owned the Hitachi for about a year, great tool. But because I am a tool whore I sold it off and got the Hilti. That ruined me. Great tool but at the same time, they both get the job done just the same. I'm not a huge fan of Bosch...mainly because I hate their tankless units with a passion ...haa, kidding. No I really do hate their tankless...tools are well made but for what your asking about Hilti or Hitachi is my vote.

·
٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶&#
8,329 Posts
I would stay away from dewalt. I own several bosch rotohammers and have never hade a problem with any of them. And yes, bosch tankless units suck but it doesn't transfer over to their tools. I think hilti is good to but waaaay overpriced for what you get. Bosch is the best value IMHO.

·
Registered
567 Posts
I'd have to say Hilti...On that note, I've also had good success getting stuff on ebay, never got a bad deal to date, :bangin:

·
Banned
3,806 Posts
Most people that complain about Hilti being overly expensive have never experienced their service, or the warranty which guarantees you will never pay more than 1/3 the replacement cost if the tool is unrepairable, for life. Almost all my power tools are made by Hilti, the exceptions being the tools they don't offer, like portable bandsaws.

·
Registered
305 Posts
We use Bosch and a Harbor Freight $59 (on sale) hammer drills. And for the money, that little HF isn't bad. Comes with a set of bits too. Used it for two years,NO problems. I'm amazed!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts