Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have one of these and have never seen another one,only clues are it's made by Ridgid and it's old,and yes i know it's name and what it's used for.

Attachments

·
Registered
447 Posts
Its obviously got both Metric and Imperial beer bottle openers on either side, as well as spaghetti measuring holes. They're probably serving tools used by expatriate Italian girls who work as bier wenches at Oktoberfest, which is why they're attached so that they can be wielded ambidexterously. But then you'll likely all see that as being blatantly obvious

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What you don't like an apprentice with empty hands?

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
I know what it is. You have you apprentice hold one side real tight while you max out the spring pulling the other way and then you let your end go. It's call " THE ATTENTION GETTER".

·
Registered
668 Posts
It's a thing-a-ma-jigy for the which-a-ma-call-it

·
The Old (antique) Master
2,246 Posts
I have one of these and have never seen another one,only clues are it's made by Ridgid and it's old,and yes i know it's name and what it's used for.
Back in the day all copper fitts were cast brass the real old had a small hole you had to fill to get the solder in. As the fitts held the heat longer there could be no movement or a cold joint crack ocured, hense joint failure.
The tool shown I belive was a holder [jig] for keeping the joint from movement. That was the 1/2 moon part of the tool for 1/2, 3/4 an 1" sizes.
The holes were to take the cutting burr of the ends.

I am thinking out loud with my fingers.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Before this slides too far down the line,it's was made by Ridgid in the 60's for a counter promotion,called the" 3rd hand "the spring was wrapped around anything and the small 1/2 moon shaped openings were slipped over copper water pipe to hold it in place while it was soldered.I just have never seem another one or come across anyone else that had seen one,just an odd one off tool.Had a guy tell me to name my price on another site a few years back but I'd rather hang on to it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts