Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Installed a comfort ease pump a few months back, customer said it worked great. Got a call from him last week, said t&p was leaking. I went out checked the water pressure 60 p.s.i. replaced t&p and seemed ok. Heater is two years old. He called back this morning said it was leaking again. The heater does not have an expansion tank, so maybe due to thermal expansion? I have installed dozens of these on heaters without expansion tanks with no problem, why this time?

·
Plumbing and Gas SCO
1,437 Posts
Depending on pipe lengths, expansion affects every job differently. With a short system length you probably need an expansion tank. I had a house that was on a cistern tank. The home was fed by a grundfos cottage pump. The pump has an internal check valve in it. I had to install an expansion tank because the T&P would drip. Even though the pump does not pressure high enough to open the T&P the thermal expansion was enough.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Why a expansion tank and not a thermal expansion valve installed outdoors? I have seen many a waterlogged expansion tank that the HO has no clue there is a problem. If it is waterlogged, it may as well not even be there. I'm guessing that in a colder climate you guys don't have the option.

·
Sacramento Plumber
32 Posts
is this on a closed looped system. PRV installed on building supply if so expansion tank needed. i've seen water pressure spiking above 180psi.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts