Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

41 - 55 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
I require 10 years experience minimum before I hire a plumber.
Even at 15, 20 years I still had a lot to learn.
We are never done learning in this trade. It really depends on the person, types of work he/she was exposed to and more importantly their master plumber responsible for their training. I have met a 4th year apprentice that said a shower valve was made of hard copper. Another one sold himself as having enough hours to be able to take the journeyman test but did not know how to install a frost free hosebib. Both came from a company that does apartment buildings and never really teach anything but just tells them what to do and they do it like mindless drones. We will always have more to learn but what's important is how we deal with it when we encounter new challenges.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
I am the product of 18 months of figure it out as you go with mechanical ability I don't even know what position to apply for bc I'm not trying to disrespect a real plumber or misrepresent myself that's how much I respect this trade yes I'm in ga. Apprentice(can't say bc I wasn't being taught) a Plumber Helper( can't say that bc I was running a route on my own unsupervised) now granted I'm not an idiot and I learn fairly fast and things mechanical just make sense for some reason and I can usually figure it out but that's not what I'm looking for I want to know all the codes theory's principals and the masters tricks to the trade I want to see the finished job as they do

·
Super Moderator
2,082 Posts
I am the product of 18 months of figure it out as you go with mechanical ability I don't even know what position to apply for bc I'm not trying to disrespect a real plumber or misrepresent myself that's how much I respect this trade yes I'm in ga. Apprentice(can't say bc I wasn't being taught) a Plumber Helper( can't say that bc I was running a route on my own unsupervised) now granted I'm not an idiot and I learn fairly fast and things mechanical just make sense for some reason and I can usually figure it out but that's not what I'm looking for I want to know all the codes theory's principals and the masters tricks to the trade I want to see the finished job as they do
Another 25 years or so and you will be in great shape and still learning. :thumbsup:

·
Super Moderator
8,022 Posts
And lol no not liquid lead it's an epoxy I know I always see when I pull old ones that usually the cast did have some type of lead to adhere to it idk I figured the epoxy would do the same thing. Why wad is using that bad? Does it matter in waste if there's lead in it?
You have a lot to learn. You're like me in my early years. Studied mechanical drafting and tool design. '01 in California, two weeks training, and on your own. Swore off the trade because of business practices. Back in '05? Working for a "drain cleaner" who did not have a Master plumbers license, yet we did everything. He and I left on mutual terms and I went to work with a real Master plumber. His Master is now mine.

The both have told me I know what I'm doing but they need to un-Fck me.

You are getting cheated where you are like I was. I can figure out stuff, you can figure out stuff... is what we're doing right? Well it works, doesn't leak. Must be.

If I started off at day one under a Master's supervision, I would be one today with probably three times the knowledge and skill.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Second all that open sights.. Due to my first shop not doing any plumbing, I'm 1.5 years behind in plumbing experience from other guys in my class. I figure out how to do things, and can think ahead. But you have to know when and where to think ahead. So much is experience with this trade. And ask every question you can.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Yes completely agree I've got a few different company's calling back interested in employing me but I'm not sure where to go ones an apprentice for residential underground, ones for plumber helper commercial new construction, and the others are for assistant service plumbing

·
Registered
2,830 Posts
Yes completely agree I've got a few different company's calling back interested in employing me but I'm not sure where to go ones an apprentice for residential underground, ones for plumber helper commercial new construction, and the others are for assistant service plumbing
Go for service plumbing since you're 40 years old, the others are a young man's job. Service is also more fun. Stick around the forum and ask questions, you'll learn a lot here.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Service and remodel is a never ending challenge. I would go with service and maybe you will help out with a new construction now and then. I work remodel and service and sometimes help a little with new construction but not much. Underground and new construction everyday quickly gets old, just same old same. Service and remodel is a new challenge every day. Only thing with service is that you have to be OK with getting your hands dirty.

Sent from my R1 HD using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
2,082 Posts
Make sure wherever you go, you are in a program so you can get licensed.

Reactions: MACPLUMB777

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Has anybody ever had this happen to them where you interviewed with two different companies and one of them was pushing for your hire immediately like as quick as possible come to find out the one rushing you to Start is the son of the owner of the other company that's offering a new position also and apparently from what I can gather I believe the sun left on bad terms with the father and he stealing his fathers leads and probably jobs also maybe even customers and the father doesn't know it what are you do

·
Super Moderator
2,082 Posts
Unless you know the other company personally, I would not do anything. If I were ask directly I would inform them of what I have heard, but note if it is hearsay if I did not personally observe it.

Getting involved in family businesses is tricky. Let them work it out.

·
Super Moderator
8,022 Posts
Need tips on mini ex trench procedures what to look for and when to
Call your local excavation company. Get a bid. Pay them. Add 25% to what you paid and present bill to homeowner.

...You just made a profit and you didn’t even get dirt under your finger nails....

41 - 55 of 55 Posts