Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to a restaurant Saturday and the owner wanted me to jet out the floor drains because they were running slow and the grease interreceptor was just pumped out. I went inside of the kitchen area and jetted out three floor drains with a small electric jetter. The drains would still back up with a large volume of water, so I got my Spartan 100 out and ran about 50 feet of cable and the drains flowed better.

The Grease Interceptor was located outside in the alley way behind the kitchen, there was a cleanout in front of the interceptor. My question is does the cleanout go towards the restaurant so you can jet a line and pull the grease back towards the interceptor or does it just go into the interceptor? I had a 16 hp gas cart jetter with me I could have jetted from the cleanout.

I have snaked drains in commercial kitchen's before not really familiar with grease interceptors and I try to avoid grease traps.

·
Registered
55 Posts
The answer is that it could be anything. It could be a 2 way cleanout with the run horizontal. It could be a 2 way cleanout with the branch horizontal. It could be a wye in either configuration also. It could be an endless variation of possabilities.Unfortunatly, it depends on what the Plumber did in that particular installation. If you do a Google searcg for Gravity Grease Interceptor and click inages, you will find the variations I am talking about. Usually the local health department will mandate the size and type needed and may offer how it is to be connected.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Terry that would be great if I go back I will jet from the other direction. Or I can pull off a Lid on the interceptor and jett it back towards the restaurant.

Asapmarty thank I did see some of the images on google This one has two access lids and a single cleanout. So if I go back to the restaurant I will use the jetter spray guy and try and jet out the greasy cleanout to determine if it is a two way, or try to gain access from the Interceptor back towards the restaurant.

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
The answer is that it could be anything. It could be a 2 way cleanout with the run horizontal. It could be a 2 way cleanout with the branch horizontal. It could be a wye in either configuration also. It could be an endless variation of possabilities.Unfortunatly, it depends on what the Plumber did in that particular installation. If you do a Google search for Gravity Grease Interceptor and click inages, you will find the variations I am talking about. Usually the local health department will mandate the size and type needed and may offer how it is to be connected.
It probably depends on what the building (plumbing) and/or public health inspectors require in the jurisdiction in question.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
This is a very effective configuration if the line requires regular jetting. Of course, it would be confusing if there was standing water in the risers when you open them, but as long as you know how its piped, this is quite effective. View attachment 136148
That is common in Southern California, a good idea when I install a sewer cleanout I usually try and install a two way cleanout where the sweeps clean out space between the cleanouts. Like you have shown in your picture.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts