Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
KTS, I am making a tie in on Gray cast tommorrow. My boss called it something with a D, but I forgot what the word was. He said it cuts alot like Clay Tile. Never dealt with it, wondering if you had....

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think its a manufacturer name, not sure. But you can cut Ductile with ratchet cutters. We only use Ductile down here for water mains. (I am cutting into an old sewer vent line)

·
Banned
3,806 Posts
The product is Duriron, it is chemical resistant cast iron, a bandsaw is what I prefer to cut it with as it does not destroy the ceramic lining of the pipe.

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The product is Duriron, it is chemical resistant cast iron, a bandsaw is what I prefer to cut it with as it does not destroy the ceramic lining of the pipe.
Thats it! The bandsaw wont fit. Its wedged in a corner and goes straight up with a beam right next to it.

·
Banned
3,806 Posts
Thats it! The bandsaw wont fit. Its wedged in a corner and goes straight up with a beam right next to it.
Well, it can be cut with a snap cutter, I would recomend you use one designed for use on no hub pipe and not one for cutting ductile, my small Wheeler Rex ratchet snapper works well on it, or a nine inch grinder with a cutting wheel if the pipe is 4" diameter.

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Cool, I will try the ratchets, the line is 2 inch and I don't think I cant get my grinder in between it and the beam.

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It actually cut good with the ratchets, didn't shatter or anything. Made the tie in this morning.

·
Banned
1,589 Posts
Well, it can be cut with a snap cutter, I would recomend you use one designed for use on no hub pipe and not one for cutting ductile, my small Wheeler Rex ratchet snapper works well on it, or a nine inch grinder with a cutting wheel if the pipe is 4" diameter.
What about a diamond blade?

·
Banned
3,806 Posts
What about a diamond blade?
Cast iron eats diamond blades, and they cost ten times what an abrasive blade costs. I know some of you think I'm nuts for spending the money I do on Hilti power tools, but I will maintain that you use the proper tool for the job.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts