Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
4th year apprentice
915 Posts
I am usually given cash. Those who do tip know how to do it, are usually prepared, and understand that most service businesses do not have their CC authorization systems set up like restaurants with a tip option.

I used to work with a guy who actually used to hint strongly for tips, until the day that the customer awkwardly called the office manager and asked how to add it to her CC bill.

·
4th year apprentice
915 Posts
IDK, I see it as kind of tacky. We charge good money for what we do, for good reason, and we do quality work. It makes my day when someone gives me a tip of their own free will, not because they were guilted into it or took the hint from seeing the option on the CC slip. We say that we want to be seen as professionals, and professionals don't ask for tips. Can't have it both ways.
I usually tip the waitress and the bartender, but I refuse to put tips in the jar for counter service, or especially take out. I see that more and more and it annoys the schitt out of me. If anything I suppose you could make the argument that we of all people are the ultimate in service providers, and so could justify it, but we make a good living, we don't rely on tips for our main income like waitresses and bartenders.

·
Registered
7,634 Posts
I think you need to have an option because there are people who want to tip but don't have cash on them. But I wouldn't want them to see that option unless they ask.

I am almost always tipped in cash, a few give me a check. Very rarely someone will mail/bring cash or check to the office with a note to who it should go to.

Reactions: GAN

·
Reverend, R.S.E., Master Plumber
Nice Head, what’s in the bag?
2,056 Posts
As a business owner- I’d never ask for a tip, and I’d be pissed if any of my guys asked for one.
I don’t have/use a tip option for my CC payment or other payment method.
I feel it makes you/me look slimy esp as highly skilled tradesmen.
Clients who are going to tip you, will do so regardless if they’re offered that option at check out.
I get tips here and there, usually in cash
And told “get you and your guy coffee or buy lunch, or a case of beer etc”.

On the flip side, I alway tip the younger hard workers- like my barber, garbage man, mailman, the kid who mows my lawn/shovels my driveway, restaurant servers, and service ppl who come out to my house.

·
Registered
3,907 Posts
I've had a $300 tip and a $500 tip. The $500 tip came with a custom personalized card written in calligraphy thanking me for my exceptional service over the years. The card alone was enough tip for me. I still have the card 10 years later (and the customer).

Another cool tip was a signed business card from a high end steak house gm with the instructions of no charge for whatever my my wife and i ordered. 2 steaks, sides, a bottle of wine ($185?) and a dessert was probably $500.

·
Reverend, R.S.E., Master Plumber
Nice Head, what’s in the bag?
2,056 Posts
I've had a $300 tip and a $500 tip. The $500 tip came with a custom personalized card written in calligraphy thanking me for my exceptional service over the years. The card alone was enough tip for me. I still have the card 10 years later (and the customer).

Another cool tip was a signed business card from a high end steak house gm with the instructions of no charge for whatever my my wife and i ordered. 2 steaks, sides, a bottle of wine ($185?) and a dessert was probably $500.
nice!

·
4th year apprentice
915 Posts
Sounds like what Jimmy Hoffa is said to have done!

There is a story about Frank Sinatra asking a doorman what is the biggest tip he ever got. "$50 replies the doorman." Sinatra hands him a 100. Then he turns around and asks him who it was that gave him that second biggest tip."It was you Mr Sinatra." Supposedly he got a huge kick out of that.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts