Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Banned
1,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally broke down & picked up a GPS, Magellan 1400.

Not too shabby, I start with entering a city, street and number, it does the rest.
If I'm in a rush I can select a list of each categorties based on the first letter or two of each town & street.

I can listen for the prompts to turn,or glance at the screen to see upcoming streets, nice.

One MAJOR pitfall, it gave me directions to a dead end that appears to be a continuous street on the map.

·
Banned
8,808 Posts
A purchase you will enjoy, no more paper maps, I have never open up a map in a long long looooooooooooooooooooooong time. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
GPS are sweet... I bought a Tom Tom last year and I never turn the thing off. I love it. It makes finding houses so much easier because alot of the houses here dont have big numbers on their front door or mailboxs for that matter. I carry a spotlight for those nighttime calls.
The company I work for just installed GPS's in our trucks, of course that is for their use only.

·
Banned
1,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I thought about a GPS, but usually use Google maps.
Same here, till a week ago.

Got sick of having to print a copy of each customer every time the night before I go to a job.

This thing is almost completely idiot proof, I've taken wrong turns and it reroutes me, a thing I've had some extreme frustration over in the past...being lost in the middle of nowhere and trying to read the microscopic print on my map, not fun.

·
Retired Moderator
6,781 Posts
Same here, till a week ago.

Got sick of having to print a copy of each customer every time the night before I go to a job.

This thing is almost completely idiot proof, I've taken wrong turns and it reroutes me, a thing I've had some extreme frustration over in the past...being lost in the middle of nowhere and trying to read the microscopic print on my map, not fun.
Yeh, thats why I thought to get one. Right now I hand write the directions down from google map, but let me tell you, its getting old. How much are those things anyway? Do you have to purchase updates for them? Is there a monthly or annual contract?

·
Banned
1,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeh, thats why I thought to get one. Right now I hand write the directions down from google map, but let me tell you, its getting old. How much are those things anyway? Do you have to purchase updates for them? Is there a monthly or annual contract?
Try this: Live Search Maps

Click on "print" after entering the address, copy & paste the image into a word pad document along with the customer information, save it in a folder on your pc for future/repeat business.

Handwriting directions is medievil, you can print the map showing side streets and nearest highway exit this way...also store it for future use so all you have to do is look them up in your customer files when they call in the future.

The MAgellan cost less than $300, no contracts or updates.
They run off signals from existing GPS satellites that are accessible to the general public.

·
Ridgid tool user
4,909 Posts
I use the garmin nuvi 360 and love it. I consider it a tool as I was able to fit one or 2 more jobs in a day because I wasn't wasting my time driving around. You can also save locations such as supply house or resturants.

·
Banned
1,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I use the garmin nuvi 360 and love it. I consider it a tool as I was able to fit one or 2 more jobs in a day because I wasn't wasting my time driving around. You can also save locations such as supply house or resturants.
Same with Magellan, it also tells where gas stations are, as well as restaurants, coffee shops and other things.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Been running mine for about a year. Its the future, no doubt...

You guys who don't have one are really missing out and need to get up to speed :)

·
Banned
3,806 Posts
Been running mine for about a year. Its the future, no doubt...

You guys who don't have one are really missing out and need to get up to speed :)
The beauty of working in a city that has a working grid address system eliminates the need for GPS, I don't need a machine to tell me that Ashland ave. is 1600 west or that Chicago ave is 800 north.

The added bonus is that almost the entire county uses Chicago's grid system, as do bordering counties, so Harlem ave is 4800 west no matter where you go.

·
WILLPLUMB4$
584 Posts
This is GREAT. I have been looking to pick up a GPS but don't trust those online reviews. Can you guys give me actual models that you have used in the field as well as +/- reviews. I live in a sum what urban setting. Tampa Bay Fl. if your familiar with the area it is still expanding so there seem to be many roads that are not on my atlas or even google maps.

·
Banned
8,808 Posts
Garmin Nuvi 200, does a good job, never had to read a map again, fast, will reroute, displays time of arrival, turn prompts, nice clear screen, loud voice. Got mine for $199

·
Registered
344 Posts
You guys are so behind the times. My wife has been telling me in a loud clear voice when I make a wrong turn or go the wrong way for years. No antenna required. One curious thing I did notice. This never happened when she didn't have a ring on her left hand. Go figure. Maybe she does have an antenna after all.

·
Banned
1,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
You guys are so behind the times. My wife has been telling me in a loud clear voice when I make a wrong turn or go the wrong way for years. No antenna required. One curious thing I did notice. This never happened when she didn't have a ring on her left hand. Go figure. Maybe she does have an antenna after all.
You stand gravely corrected.
My "organic" GPS also "gently" alerts me when my speed is picking up too much, also when I'm in the wrong lane on the highway, turning too fast, breaking too quickly...and the bonus feature...complaining too much about the kid that cut me off.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Did you get the brown headed model, the red headed model, the black headed model, or the two headed model?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts