Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
4th year apprentice
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Found this on a job last week. Husband is in the early stages of Alzheimers. What could possibly go wrong?
I told them that it should be taken out of the bathroom, or at a minimum at least off the vanity top next to the dixie cups.
Husband was in a period of clarity, so even quipped, "Why, so no one will drink it?". I said that is exactly why. Someone, groggy in the morning, not paying attention, drunken haze, whatever, might grab it without thinking, let alone someone with mental impairment. It was still there when I finished, so I grabbed it and handed it to the wife and insisted that we really need to keep this downstairs. Light bulb finally went off, and she thanked me. Sometimes it's really hard to help some people, but I left there feeling pretty good, with the hopes that some day karma will come around and some service guy will look out for me or mine in a similar way.
Tap Sink Property Bathroom sink Plumbing fixture

·
Premium Member
440 Posts
I don’t do much service anymore. When I was working in bathrooms I would almost always at least clean the aerators in the sink and clean out the pop-up. Even if I wasn’t working on the sink.

And almost always spray some orange smelling cleaner even if I didn’t make a mess.

This way the sink kind of magically worked better and it smelled good (and clean) when I left.

Maybe this wasn’t really doing any good deeds but it felt good to leave the place cleaner than I found it and I also think they generated some return business.

·
Super Moderator
12,008 Posts
When my master sold his business he sent me to an elderly customer who we’ve done lots of little jobs for. Lav drain or something. Then the old “since you‘re here” comes out. If it’s something simple, I don’t mind. Older 3.5 gallon toilet handle was sticky. One of the nice $25 cost (pre-covid) ones. Could’ve sold her a new good one of those, or your standard POS plastic ones. Penetration oil and five minutes, no charge.

Another very longtime customer, from my previous master, his wife has the beginning stages of dementia. She has good days, never personally seen a bad day myself, but she always doles out the candy to my kid when we leave. Anyway, his 70’s lav faucet was no longer repairable so he bought a POS menards special that looked the same as the old, to prevent confusion. Well that special did what they do. I bought a Moen and just charged for parts and gas. Long time customer and they give my number to all the good people in their neighborhood.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I don’t do much service anymore. When I was working in bathrooms I would almost always at least clean the aerators in the sink and clean out the pop-up. Even if I wasn’t working on the sink.

And almost always spray some orange smelling cleaner even if I didn’t make a mess.

This way the sink kind of magically worked better and it smelled good (and clean) when I left.

Maybe this wasn’t really doing any good deeds but it felt good to leave the place cleaner than I found it and I also think they generated some return business.
I would do the same thing but when something would break or they call later and say there having issues you wind up going back for free.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts