Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
1,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've been reading a lot about taking the "green" plumbers course, it's a 32 hour long course. I did a little research, it's starting to look pretty good.:thumbup:
This isn't a company, just links to green items on ebay.

·
Former Moderator
9,817 Posts
Green will be big in some areas (major cities and where there is a lot of government work). Everywhere else, green spending is actually going down.

Remodeling magazine recently did an article on green and the main thing it noted: Most homeowners will not spend more than 10% more for a green product and the product must have a savings in it for them. Saving earth was not the top priority in going green.

The above is not an absolute, i'm going from memory on the numbers and assumptions. In general, the above is a summary and confirms what I already believed to be true.

·
Registered
5,903 Posts
Green reminds me of when peanut butter started advertising no cholesterol because that was the marketing buzz of the hour. Peanut butter never had cholesterol.
The tax credits may still be a useful tool but the economy ( I always want to add stupid--thats how good marketing can be) has preempted the green ooze from spreading--my 2 cents.

·
Banned
1,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I sure don't see green spending going down. I guess it depends on your idea of what "green" is. All gas water heaters in Ca. are now "green". Solar is back, green. Water conservation is huge, huge money in it. No getting around it, it's here. I'm taking the course, never stop learning to stay ahead.

·
Registered
5,903 Posts
I sure don't see green spending going down. I guess it depends on your idea of what "green" is. All gas water heaters in Ca. are now "green". Solar is back, green. Water conservation is huge, huge money in it. No getting around it, it's here. I'm taking the course, never stop learning to stay ahead.
No contest on learning.. My perspective: P.S.I. got on the green wagon and hired some old actress to do a web video to be put on members web pages ( for a nominal fee of course). They think green is up. Plumbers have always been green. Tankless is not green but they say it is. Bottled water was huge (and still is) but the crest is over. They have these newer toilets that are 1.2 or something which I'm sure will go well in a dream home that has a car wash for a master shower. It is smoke and mirrors in reality. Liberal agenda like global warming IMHO. The Florida code will eventually adopt some new "green" codes according to my last continuing education class. Billboards were going up with green issues but that has stopped here. I dont "feel" (dont you love that) that it has wings right now and if it ever gets seen for what it is-never will. We can all be obstinate, just need to pick the right issue.:)
The only financially viable solar system ( Im on a roll) is for electricity with a buy back from the utility company. Otherwise the up front costs dont make sense.
My idea of green is paper disposible clothing, showers only twice a week, rain collectors, smart cars, etc..etc.. They have a "street of dreams" in Orlando once a year and showcase these 5 mil homes and call them green compliant--pleeeaaase!!! looks like a grand opportunity for more government control ( up the revolution).
I might take the course too. It will get my mind off of how to deal with price shoppers.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I've been saving my clients energy for the better part of 14 years.....guess I've been green all along:thumbsup:

·
Registered
6,312 Posts
I have spent the better part of two year now researching the whole "green & the environment" movement for my masters degree. I will be putting the thesis together over the summer. From what I have so far though I can tell you that 90% of it is a crock. However, there is big money to be made by climbing on the wagon. Like it or not is not the issue for most, profit is. If folks have been convinced that product A is green and therefore better, and they are willing to pay the premium for it, than by all means let them buy it from me. :thumbsup:

I would however be very carefull about attending seminars and such. Especially if they are charging what you think is too much or are asking you to sign up for something. 99% of all the informatin that you need to go green is provided free of charge by the manufacturers and or you can research it on the web. Why spend your hard earned money to sit in a class and listen to womething you already know or don't agree with.

Solar: Solar is viable in many areas of the country. To blanket nay say it is wrong. Here in the North East, the savings are hard to come by. Especially in NH because we have no tax or energy credits available, but in VT you can get quite a bit of your initial investment back. That said, if the technology was really that good then folks would be climbing all over each other to get it, rebate or no rebate. Solar has some advantages and some dis-advantages, but it's one of those things that if the customer is convinced he want's it, you should be the one selling it to him. Same goes for geo thermal. I personally have run the numbers and come up short, but if Joe Schmoe wants one, he can call me anytime. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
151 Posts
Go ahead and take the courses, providing that they are not overly expensive. Why spend hours upon hours researching and still not get all the answers you wanted if someone has it all there in a week course (once again if they do and it is not expensive). As for the green ideas, I have a BS in Environmental Management and Industrial Technology and a lot of the ideas are good ones, a lot of them just aren't economically viable yet. Like the poster above said, once the band wagon gets rolling, if it does, there will be more competition for those customers and the prices may drop. That being said, there will still be those customers that want these items and I want to be on top of it if they do. We also have a Street of Dreams here and while I am back and forth on some of the items, we did have a nice profit on the add-ons for those that have more money than sense. Once again though knowledge is always a plus.

·
Registered
4,960 Posts
Going green? Ha, I recycle as little as possible. My kids got it drummed in their kids at school about recycling, when they aren't looking, I throw recyclables in the trash. I also burn cardboard in my backyard firepit.
:laughing:

·
Former Moderator
9,817 Posts
Direct info from Tankless water heater rep.

If the customer does not change any of their usage habits, they will save about 25%.

HOWEVER, customers tend to change their habits after getting a tankless - thereby the savings is diminished.

Ex. -
1. HO would rarely use Whirlpool tub because it drained the water heater, with endless hot water - more tub baths.

2. Teenager would run shower until all the hot water was gone. Now the same teenager will think nothing of taking an hour long shower while they search for their purpose in life. :whistling2:

IMHO - Saving a little electric and wasting our most precious resource (water) is not GREEN!

From another rep. about Sloan Flush Valves - push down for solids, pull up for liquids - Why isn't the consumer being educated about these? Answer - Greenwashing, looks good but doesn't matter if it's not utilized. :furious:

You may think both reps. are idiots, but I think they are being honest.

In Europe they found the same thing with unintended consequences of trying to be energy efficient. When they replaced heating/cooling units and the end users electric bills were lowered, they raised/lowered the T-stat. and used up the saved energy. Energy savings very little, consumer more comfortable.

Nothing wrong with the above, just don't act like you are saving the environment.

·
٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶&#
8,329 Posts
And then there are real green applications like solar domestic water heating and solar pool heating (unless you are too far north). Also, I think the .5 gallon flush urinals by zurn are a good idea.

·
٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶&#
8,329 Posts
You know what would be a great "green" product?

A computer program that monitors people's irrigation frequency. More water is wasted on irrigation than toilets by far. Local municipalities need to install remote read water meters on all irrigation meters. A computer back at the water dept. monitors when and how much watering people are doing. Many municipalities have watering restrictions but enforcement is next to nill. If a computer noticed that you are watering over the legal limits you get 1 or 2 warnings in the mail with your water bill. If you keep doing it they just go ahead and tack on a $1000 fine each billing cycle that you do it. Don't pay the fine and your water is shut off.

How’s that for water conservation.

·
new nickname:Quaker State
1,204 Posts
Going green is costing the builder his own green. Energystar water heaters, around 300 bucks for a 40 gallon I think it was. It only has 1 point higher energy effenciency that the standard one.
OSB siding with foil on one side, used for roofing, 3-5 dollars more per sheet. Insulation guy said that it was a waste of money. But the builders get " green points" for everything they use that is deemed green. Hope the home buyer has lots of green for his green home.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts