Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
913 Posts
Good read! We had something similar on our website.

The fact is both pricing methods can be abused. Neither is 100% fair to all parties, all the time.

We are switching to flat rate; however, I know it is less than other flat rate cos. charge. It is what we are comfortable using. Our goal is to be fair to all parties.

·
No Longer at This Address
4,710 Posts
That has been up for a while as I read it a couple of years ago. He makes some good points but at the same he is selling his business model so you need to take that into consideration.

Mark

·
Water Whisperer
3,627 Posts
Yeah, ol' Evan has been around a long time in one form or another. He charges by the quarter hour--32.00 for 15 minutes plus 10 or so for travel.

I'd hate to work under that stress. If I were the customer, I'd be clocking the plumber.

With flat rate, I don't even care how long it takes--the price is the price is the price.

·
Registered
843 Posts
I saw Evan's website long ago. Oddly, other plumbers from his area say he's expensive.

And although he rails against flat rate, he has a page with flat rate prices for specific tasks. A bit hypocritical if you ask me.

And he also said that he felt that his prices should be higher. It really doesn't sound like it's working all that well for him, but if he thinks it works, I guess that's what's most important.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Man i need to get away from T&M and go flat rate. I see what some people are charging for small service repair work on flat rate and its almost double what i charge on T&M. Either that or maybe i should break one of my arms and slow down a bit :)

·
Banned
1,595 Posts
I've been flat rate for a long time now, will never go back to t&m. Doesn't mean I charge a fortune, just a flat rate for each job. The worst part I hated about t&m is that the customer would always add on just one more thing and say you're still within "my hour". Never again.

·
Plumber, Totally
86 Posts
Flat rate all the way. The most important thing for a flat rate service provider is to ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS communicate clearly the price for the job, the limitations of that job within that price, and get a SIGNATURE on your invoice agreeing to the flat rate price before work begins.

By limitations, I mean that if for example, you're changing out the gas water heater, you mention that your flat rate doesn't include modifications to gas line, vent pipe, etc. It seems labor intensive, and my techs don't like to do it, but they don't like it when customers question our rates after the job is over, either.

Communicate pricing upfront, overcome objections early, and sometimes they have a check waiting on you, and you can move on to your next call quicker, and with a sense of pride for communicating well and treating your customer fairly.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts